• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plush Ride Without Bottoming (MONOSHOCK OWNERS)

I used a similar set up with two sprinds and a spacer on an old artic cat 500 and it worked really well. I think this along with a revalve job might be the ticket for a big boy riders. I go about 230 and just the heavy spring by itself didn't cut it. I also had to stiffen the valving but lost some of the plushness.

Looks like Hy-Gear is offering a dual rate spring with cross-over to remedy the bottoming and yet leave a plush ride in the studders. I had them do some shock/spring work for my Renegade, and I was pleased with the results

I've been holding off on a big boy spring waiting for something like this dual rate. I'd hate to give up the nice ride 95% of the time for the 5% of the time I was bottoming over fast rollers... not keen on sending in my ohlins unless they are revalving as part of the deal however.

$300 is pretty steap for the spring kit..

I would have to have someone i know buy one first and try it out before laying down that kind cash on hear say..LOL

the theory sounds good to me. I'm 185 and the stiffer spring is coming out as it is a little to harsh for me. I ride very hard and have no problem folding this suspension up. I think the re-valve will also be necessary.

I still stand by a post I made about a year ago. Give me a big Fox float rear shock for the Mono and Wa-la,.. I think that would make the most sense as it would work for all weight riders and is progressive.

I doubt Fox could justify the engineering/design time to make a shock for such a limited application. Front shocks can fit any manufacturers machine where as a mono is limited to a few Yamaha's.

A well engineered progressive spring is going to be the only option at this time. JMO

If nobody else like Pioneer Performance for instance doesn't make one then I guess we only have one choice.
My money is on others stepping up with their own product, Its the American way! :-o

One thing I've noticed and never understood. Yamaha keeps showing pictures of "next year" Yamaha's mono-suspensions with a progressive, variable rate spring. Every season, the machines are shipped with a single rate spring and no variable rate springs are available.

I wonder if they found there was too much kick back or something after a big bump.

It's not like a variable rate spring costs much more. If they worked well, why not at least offer it as an optional spring?

Back