• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Idler wheels loose ?

quebec#1

Expert
Just noticed that having the machine on the stand in the rear the rear Idler wheels have a bit of play in and out is this normal ? All bolts are tight.

A little play is okay... 150hp is a lot for those bearings...

Your call on the bearings, if you think they have to much play than you should replace them...

Which wheels do you have, are they original or the new ones that you can replace the bearing without changing the whole wheel...

quebec#1 said:
Just noticed that having the machine on the stand in the rear the rear Idler wheels have a bit of play in and out is this normal ? All bolts are tight.

How many miles are on the sled (on those wheels)? I replaced all my wheels/bearings at about 5,500 miles; now at 8,800 there is still no "play" in any of the wheels. If you have play it's from the bearing(s) wearing out. I would take a closer look and replace wheels if necessary.

They are the polaris wheels !
It just the big idler wheels in the back that move from side to side.

Attachments

• DSCN1045 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1045 (Medium).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 349
To really check their condition, you'll have to remove them and spin them freely. If they sound like Rice Krispies, are stiff to turn or just don't feel right, then they might be dying and should be replaced as a preventive measure.

Those are the original with non-replaceable bearings. Go to your dealer and order those for the 2010 model (part no. 8HF-47550-20-00). They are black open spoke with replaceable NTN bearings. They are even cheaper than the originals. You'll also be able to regrease them every year to extend the bearings even further.

Mooseman said:
To really check their condition, you'll have to remove them and spin them freely. If they sound like Rice Krispies, are stiff to turn or just don't feel right, then they might be dying and should be replaced as a preventive measure.

Those are the original with non-replaceable bearings. Go to your dealer and order those for the 2010 model (part no. 8HF-47550-20-00). They are black open spoke with replaceable NTN bearings. They are even cheaper than the originals. You'll also be able to regrease them every year to extend the bearings even further.
How much are they ? I guess they come with the bearing ?

if you like that style of wheel you can get them with replaceable bearings in them the part #'s is in the accessories catalog there are different ones to choose. they are round 20.00-30.00 each

Never had an issue with slide wear replace the original pair at 7000 miles . The machine now had 8900 miles . So fourth wheel kit is not for me.
I guess i will look for some new rear idler wheels. (forgot they were still stock !) I had replaced all bearings on the polaris wheels last year.

quebec#1 said:
Never had an issue with slide wear replace the original pair at 7000 miles . The machine now had 8900 miles . So fourth wheel kit is not for me.
I guess i will look for some new rear idler wheels. (forgot they were still stock !) I had replaced all bearings on the polaris wheels last year.

The 4th wheel has nothing to do with slide wear really. It is to keep from having to walk or be towed out of the woods. In the back there are 3 wheels. 2 on one side 1 on the other side. If you happen to lose a wheel from the side with one wheel you're walking. Plus the 4th wheel helps keep the track better aligned when you're pushing hard through the corners.

quebec#1 said:

8900 miles they are well past their best before date.

Replace em ASAP if wobbly. They are very near Toast !!!!!

My 2006 GT has 11,000 km on Hyfax, no Issues there but the axle wheels came apart at 10,000 km.

I put on the spoked accessory from Yamaha. 30 something bucks. Royal has em for High 20's

Mooseman said:

Im getting part # SMA-8HF38-20-Bk on the yamaha site ?

Yes, that's the actual number. The first number I gave was from the parts catalog for a 2010 Apex. Same thing. In fact, the package came in with SMA-8HF38-20-Bk on it.

Back