• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Testing

Yeah, it was a very hard metallic and irregular noise. It did it only in forward gear. Reverse was fine. It will move a bit and then ratatatat. Sounded more like an impact wrench trying to turn a stuck bolt.

But as suggested, do check all other components before assuming the gear box is defective.

Unfortunately that is exactly what mine sounds like. Hopefully I will get into it this weekend to at least find the problem. This may be turning into a summer fix. A bit frustrated as I have Mtn Tec Running boards (a great product) and the Hindle exhaust (also really sweet) and Floats up front. The sled was getting dialed in at last.

When you take the chaincase apart, look for metal flecks in the oil with no obvious signs from the chain and gears. That means it's coming from the gear box. Also check the oil pipe and grommet. It been updated to a newer longer version because the first design was related to oil loss. If your gear box is damaged, you could rebuild it but most people have found it is cheaper to just find used one instead.

Well the preliminary answer is it was the chain tension - looks like I dodged a bullet. I may wait to get into the chain case till after the season ends.
As a side note I changed my clutching (upbushman secondary) and added a Hindle can. Definitely delivering more power to the track, may have been enough to exacerbate a growing problem with the tensioner.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Hopefully riding this weekend, still solid base on the ground and we got 5 to 8 inches of cold but dense snow today.

Well I got temporary wiring set up and did a test run for a switch with out the use of Control Pod and new or repined wire harness . So IT CAN BE DONE!!! I will take write a separate one for it. I will take the pics tomorrow, draw something up, write it up, and post it up tomorrow.
looks like you guys have done quite a bit of work on the reverse issues. I still haven't solved the intermittent problem of the servo not shifting(or not even trying to shift). I was leaning toward putting a green and red button on the dash somewhere to just power the servo in both directions. is this what you were talking about here? let me know if it was. wouldn't mind knowing if someone has already tried this. thanks.

I made up a complete harness that operates the servo separately from the ECU for a member that had no reverse and retrofitted it. It works quite well and not finicky like the ECU control.

that is what I have in mind. just wondering if the ecu actually uses feedback from the reverse sensor to sound the reverse alarm? I don't want to be in a situation where I leave it in reverse when I shut it down, then start it later and not know that it is in reverse! been there with my old 600 sxr that had a broken reverse alam/beeper. results can be dangerous. It would be great if I could just wire it up and the ecu still recognized what is going on when I switch to reverse or forward. not exactly sure how smart this system is and or what inputs it has from the gearbox, but I am guessing that it is only the f/r sensor.

I am thinking that a rocker switch for a quad would work great. you can buy those pretty cheap on ebay and mount it right on the handle bar. I could just tie it right into the servo plugin and good to go. any thoughts?

I put some LEDs to indicate forward or reverse in my retrofit kit. Easy enough since the sensors switch to ground when activated. I don't know how the ECU will react if the shift motor and sensors are unplugged from it.

I put some LEDs to indicate forward or reverse in my retrofit kit. Easy enough since the sensors switch to ground when activated. I don't know how the ECU will react if the shift motor and sensors are unplugged from it.
Was hoping to just remove the 3 prong plug for the shift motor and wire it directly to a double switch like ones used for atv winches. the sensors would still be in place and maybe they would still send the signal to the ecu to activate the forward light and reverse light/beeper. that would be the ideal situation. If the lights on dash take the signal from the sensors in the gearbox, this should still happen when I do the mod. but if they take the signal from the ecu when the reverse button is pressed, the lights and beeper probably won't work. Right now, the reverse is so finicky, I would live without the light and beeper. It is a royal pain in the A55 right now. thanks for the reply. I will let you know how it goes once I get at it. thanks.

Only problem with that if the ECU thinks it's supposed to be in forward gear and it senses it's in reverse, it might not allow the engine to rev up, like it does when it's jammed between two gears and off-beeping.

Or...

It's possible that the reverse and non-reverse Phazers use the same ECU and when everything is unplugged, as if there just isn't a reverse, it ignores it. Only way to find out is to unplug both sensors and the reverse servo motor and see what happens.

I think the rev limit will only be when it doesn't see a signal from either of the sensors. The more that I think about this, the more I am leaning to the gearbox being the sendor of all signals, and the ecu just outputting based on what is received. If this is the case, it should all work ok. guess I will find out when I finally get at it as there seems to be no real easy fix to the reverse issues that I and other are having. thanks for reply.

Back