• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RIP Apex Mountain

I agree

YES I couldn't agree more Niko! I want to change the balance of the sled a little....by this I mean the weight is centralized in the chassis...right under the steering column. I think if we were to lighten everything possible on the nose and then add the XP gas tank and seat to remove some of the gas weight away from the center of the sled it will help ...better weight distribution across the length of the sled!
You were asking about steering shafts. CB Performance has an Aluminum stem and side shaft for our sleds that saves 2-3 lbs. My question is if they are as light as a chromo stem with T-Top so we can go to lighter risers and bars?
Currently we have these options for weight reduction on the front of the chassis, Chromo bars, riser & stem 3-4lbs, hood-guage & light pod is 10 lbs, A arms spindles & bolts 12 lbs, remove battery 15 lbs, air box to K&N's 2 lbs, radiator & fan 5lbs, remove a few little things, brackets & drill lots of holes 2-3 lbs. ( hopefully the lighter M-9 ski's will come out saving another 5 lbs )
We have the ability to remove a solid 45-50lbs from the nose combined with sliding the gas tank back 4" and placing the majority of the gas tank weight over the tunnel should help remove that heavy center section that makes it hard to flip on it's side on a hard surface. Any other idea's we can use to remove weight...Float 2 shocks for 5 lbs.....hmmm any other out of the box idea's? Maybe the Tied clutch will give us a couple rotating lbs a titanium jack shaft and drive shaft would save 2-3 lbs but at a big price. I think this is all we can expect minus some huge money for titanium tube chasis. If I loose 50 lbs and make the tank transition function properly, reliably and look decent I'll be happy with mine. When you changed your hood , light set up did you notice a change in the handling characteristics....top heavy decrease or no noticeably difference?

Good question, I had changed the light pod ,hood, front a arms and seat in one go so I did feel a big difference in weight. Now handling was also differen't but why I'm not sure???
Now once I've changed the rear suspension to timber sled it should change things again.

Re: Agreed!

GotJuice said:
Their dropping the ball and it's all related to the bottom line! This has always been Yamaha's genes....they are focusing on the black ink and being conservative! I think the 06 & 07' Apex Mnt. were the best two years due to price point...affordable and dependable...then the prices started jumping and for no real imporvements! No way I'd pay 13000.00 or even 12000.00 for a new Apex Mnt. today when it's the same thing they sold in 2006 for much less.......Artic Cat and Skidoo are gonna start to pull away in the Mountain segment you watch!

You are right. And as soon as Cat and Ski Doo put their 4 strokes in a mountain chassis, they will take a lot more of the market. Not everyone who wants a 4 stroke mountain machine wants to ride a Nytro MTX. That's why I went back to the Apex MTX chassis. The Nytro just did not do it for me at all. Rest in Peace Apex!

I think people should start making relentless calls to Yamaha complaining about the death of this machine. Who in the hell wants a 130HP mountain machine that has a bunch of quirks. I think closer of 200 hp is the way to go.

I had the chance to test out the new Apex xtx with powersteering and a 1,75" track i pow. What a easy sled it is to play with.

I jumped straight from the Apex xtx to the Nytro xtx. Apex chassie all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a shame that yamaha isn't giving the customer a 151-162" apex with the new power steering. The apex felt so light and nimble with the new power steering.

not me..

niko said:
Totally agree, Apart from I think the polaris dragon 800 159" is the best sled out there right now for mtn riders.
my son is 6-4 and 255..he says my sled is heavey..he tried a friends dragon and loved.it..i feel as though i am on something that will bend or bust..but they are light..i think my son is just a lazzy 15 yearold..

niko said:
Totally agree, Apart from I think the polaris dragon 800 159" is the best sled out there right now for mtn riders.

The RMK models are very good and I'm with you. M or RMK, the best in deep powder, steep hills with lots of threes I would say RMK if they had a better engine. Cat is really, really good to and when you are riding it home and are tired I like my Cat and I would hate a RMK.

About Topic, sad to see that Yamaha let go of this segment of sledding. The Apex MTX is a hairy bastard and I luve the sound of it in the forrest. RIP.

Bye the way... The new RMK is the nicest looking mountain out there... end of story. I hope they put an end to the engine problems.

Back