• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RPM Drop at WOT Hot?

My sled lost rpm's (400-500) in stock form. Intake temps were the same as when I still had my rpm's.

Sled acts the same with a tune. It does not show any knock or any codes when this happens.

Big_Phil,
Do you have any information from Yamaha explaining on how the ecu pulls timing and fuel and at what temperature does this occur at? I would like to see that publication.

No publication for stock, but hurricane tunes will start using extra fuel to try and stave off detonation as well as pull timing with excessive IATs. I assume stock would do the same.

No publication for stock, but hurricane tunes will start using extra fuel to try and stave off detonation as well as pull timing with excessive IATs. I assume stock would do the same.

Ok thanks.

When the Hurricane tunes see high intake temps do they flash the knock lights and display on phone or just when it detects knock?

Ok thanks.

When the Hurricane tunes see high intake temps do they flash the knock lights and display on phone or just when it detects knock?

Only when it detects knock will the knock light come on. My sled never had an issue with IATs all winter, except for my last ride. It was above freezing, sunny, intercooler kept getting clogged and we were ridng hard and fast. The biggest issue with the intercooler is the airflow over it I think. I’m not a turbo expert, but the intercooler seems undersized as well.

Only when it detects knock will the knock light come on. My sled never had an issue with IATs all winter, except for my last ride. It was above freezing, sunny, intercooler kept getting clogged and we were ridng hard and fast. The biggest issue with the intercooler is the airflow over it I think. I’m not a turbo expert, but the intercooler seems undersized as well.

Just asking questions about this rpm loss at times because I am having this issue and find it hard to believe it's normal otherwise everybody would be on here talking about it.
This issue alone can make a person not happy with their sled.

Hopefully someone will post some info on what cures this issue.

Just asking questions about this rpm loss at times because I am having this issue and find it hard to believe it's normal otherwise everybody would be on here talking about it.

I never saw this issue running even big tunes last season. But I also never rode in temps above 30F, the first few rides of the year were much colder, single digits F. Can you borrow someone else's ECU and see if you still have the same problem?

If you're using the GAP flasher it would be well worth the $200 to have the data logging option, then you can see exactly what's happening.

So you dont get code 25 or 39 ,i know if you get code25 then you will lose rpm. But maybe the tuners have delited those codes from coming up?

No codes stock or tuned. With tune boost does not drop very much when rpm drops.
Snow is gone so I get to work on it until next winter and would like to have it fixed by then so I am not chasing it all winter.

Ya boost stays same but rpm drop by 4-500, like to figure it out,

Also if you only have a hurricane tune and no gap flasher you will still have safety protection built in but you won't have the lights on the dash.

Looks like I will have to spend the $200 then.
I've found it's a great investment. There's so much data available here that it's the best way to know what's really going on. I like it so much I upgraded to CoPiTrail with TD to get the high-speed GPS. That way I can see true performance graphed out with everything else and know exactly what a clutching or tuning change does, no more "it felt better down low".

I have ns1 gauge I can read intake temp ,boost, afr, etc, yes thru the ECU, when intake temp is high 70-80 rpms drop, this is when riding in 30 degree or warmer weather, no codes. And I am all stock , no tune .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 225
Does fuel pressure show up in the data?
I may have to install a direct reading fuel test gauge to make sure it's not a fuel pressure issue.

Does fuel pressure show up in the data?
I may have to install a direct reading fuel test gauge to make sure it's not a fuel pressure issue.
Fuel pressure does not show up - based on all the others, I would think it'd be logged if it was available via the ECU.

No I can't read fuel pressure, but I will next winter so I can see you f it changes . I also was going to change the gas tank vent, I have the red one. I believe the black one is bigger, can't remember which one you should have that's something I will test when the snow flies, long wait

Back