• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS mechanical cam chain tension problem bulletin

jeffkinney said:
firedowg said:
Would it be possible to remove the bolts and rivet I have circled and drop the exhaust sheild? then reach it from there? You could always replace the rivets or just use bolts in there place. Just a idea.

Unfortunately, due to the placement of the cam chain tensioner on the backside of the motor, it is impossible to remove the tensioner without removing the rear engine mounting bolt and spacer. No way around it, you have to remove a lot of parts to get there.

well sum beach!

I had mine changed by my dealer. We both called Yamaha and they said they would not pay for this repair. Mine was noisey, but they said sorry about your luck.
My dealer is already mad at them for cutting his sled order in half.
But my dealer took care of it for me. No charge.

WIN_20180310_10_24_35_Pro.jpg
So I have just bought 2007 Vk pro 4400 km (called RS Viking in Norway) and guess what I have old original cam chain tensioner with yellow dot.
Now after calling some experts yamaha dealers the ones that seem to remember and know about it:

One said we changed them all to new type when selling new RS viking, just to be sure.
2 said its a quite small weakness and did not change the tensioners on the new rs viking we sold at that time. Of the many rs viking and similar engines sold we only heard about one rs viking that had a possible tensioner problem

one said if you had a bad tensioner then you would have had the problem years ago.
and if you get problem with tensioner your really hear it loud.

So should I bother changing the cam shaft tensioner ?

Last edited:
Depends on if you're a gambling man or not.

Do you wanna risk an at minimum a destroyed head, with bent valves. And possibly cracked pistons and worst case bent conrods.

Is that risk worth a $150 part & 8 hrs of your time to replace it? That's what you need to ask yourself.

Hi, I have ordered the tensioner, will wait for some rainy days before next winter :)
Discussed with a Mechanic that had changed over 100 of these tensioners, the changed them when owners wanted or when the got a sled in to be sold again.
He said some tensioners more or less fell apart when taking them out.

For changing tensioner, recommendation was to the set engine to timing mark, remove top cover and secure chain with strips to cam shaft so there is no chance of chain jumping position as the tensioner is taken out and chain is no longer under tension.

Back