• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS mechanical cam chain tension problem bulletin

Just passing along what my dealer said...you may have very poor gas mileage, valve train noise, or possibly hear the timing chain slapping against the inside of the head. Apparently on several of them where the tensioner was going bad, the sled at least gave their owners some advanced warning.

My '07 Vector runs perfect, but is going in for the tensioner replacement real soon...covered by Yamaha. Local dealer was pro-active and told me to bring it in for the fix!

I'd like to know too. My gas mileage is horrible around 13 right now...Thought maybe it was the exhaust donuts but those are new too and the mileage still sucks..

RSVECTORFREAK said:
I'd like to know too. My gas mileage is horrible around 13 right now...Thought maybe it was the exhaust donuts but those are new too and the mileage still sucks..

How are your clutch weights?

Groomerdriver said:
RSVECTORFREAK said:
Just checked them and they looked good no grooves.. They are polaris S53R's..

Are you running a Polaris P85 primary?

No i am running the stock clutch but Goodwin Performance sells a pin a weight kit that you can use on your stock yamaha clutch but since then I have noticed that my primary sheaves are both grooved bad so I will probably install a P-85 and shim the engine bolt instead of putting a Yamaha clutch back on it.

GOOD NEWS!!!! Just spoke with my dealer and all of the 05's are affected by the bad cam tension adjuster so he said bring it in and there is a replacement part (non-mechanical) that they now use on '08 and newer engines and they will install free of charge.....Thanks Yamaha!!!!!!

RSVECTORFREAK said:
Groomerdriver said:
RSVECTORFREAK said:
Just checked them and they looked good no grooves.. They are polaris S53R's..

Are you running a Polaris P85 primary?

No i am running the stock clutch but Goodwin Performance sells a pin a weight kit that you can use on your stock yamaha clutch but since then I have noticed that my primary sheaves are both grooved bad so I will probably install a P-85 and shim the engine bolt instead of putting a Yamaha clutch back on it.

Good plan on the P85. ;)!

RSVECTORFREAK said:
GOOD NEWS!!!! Just spoke with my dealer and all of the 05's are affected by the bad cam tension adjuster so he said bring it in and there is a replacement part (non-mechanical) that they now use on '08 and newer engines and they will install free of charge.....Thanks Yamaha!!!!!!

Is this repair by the dealer considered a recall or some sort of service bulletin? I'm heading up to my dealer on Friday, and curious what I should ask them while there.

This website has been a trough of information. If my dealer covers this free of charge, you may have single handed saved many 05 motors for us folks reading your post. Very cool....thank you.

I think I'll head over to the VIP section, and make a donation to this site. Seem like the least I can do..... :rocks:

If they are going to replace the cam tension adjuster with the ones they put
into the 08 & later sleds how does that affect the 06"s & 07 models. Are they
saying there is 3 different types of cam tension adjuster"s from 05-08 models.

Supposed to be all 120 models from 05 to 07 should get the part changed out. I do not have a copy of the bulletin but my dealer knew all about it when I called him.

Back