• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx-1 2005 Turbo Cranks but won't start, IDK what to do...Help!

DenissK

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Rx-1 2005
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any issues the same as mine and if anyone had any solutions to my issue.

[Background]
I got a rx-1 2005 about 3 months ago from a neighbor that i knew well and which has since then moved elsewhere. At the time it started just fine with no issues whatsoever. We were able to start it multiple times after we had bought it, and it seemed to work just fine.

[Issue]
We left it for about 3 months and i have now come back to it, because it has snowed. So i got on it, and tried to start it, but the battery was dead because i left the key in the ready position(stupid me) and must have killed the battery, so i charged it overnight until fully charged. It has a ton of cranking power but it wont start, i move the choke back and forth and have put it in every position possible. I have no idea how to start it...

[Observations]
I have checked the fuses, not the one by the battery because it is under all the turbo piping and will be a pain to get to (looking for easy fixes right now).
I saw that the coolant is empty, but i don't know if it has anything to do with starting it.
Also the dash doesn't light up at all. (weird)

Please Help, Really want to get out there and enjoy the snow!

Thanks for any solutions or ideas or information. This is the first snowmobile i have owned and have worked on. I am a newbie.

31e794fcc3536d2266c80bc74798fcab.jpg
6a33d40759e2b3bf513d631618659a55.jpg

Well Dennis you already learned lesson #1.
Never wait until it snows to get sled out!
Are you just gonna ride it without any service on machine?

I'm guessing you have the plugs wet ( flooded), and check the kill switch on the handlebars to make sure it is on.

Well Dennis you already learned lesson #1.
Never wait until it snows to get sled out!
Are you just gonna ride it without any service on machine?
What type of service do I need to do on it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you have the plugs wet ( flooded), and check the kill switch on the handlebars to make sure it is on.
Is it possible to take the spark plugs out without taking the turbo out?

That all depends on what turbo kit is on it. I'm sure you will have to disassemble some things to get down to them. It is quite a little job to get to them without a turbo, so I'm thinking it will be a little more work with one installed?
Can't you see them? That should tell you what needs to be done.

I just went back and looked at your pic. I would say you have to take the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and all the plumbing that is in that area off to gain access.

Also, you said you started it a few times, did you let it run long enough for the temp light to go out? You should never run these motors for just a short period of time without coming up to temp. That is why I think you have wet plugs.
Hope this helps you in the future.

Also, you said you started it a few times, did you let it run long enough for the temp light to go out? You should never run these motors for just a short period of time without coming up to temp. That is why I think you have wet plugs.
Hope this helps you in the future.
I dont we let it warm up for long enough... Im new to snowmobiles so i dont know what im suppose to do and not to do.

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at your pic. I would say you have to take the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and all the plumbing that is in that area off to gain access.
443a0215058fe801f9c624bf49873297.jpg

Are those the spark plugs? If so, they don't seem to come off.

That sled was built by Darren @ E&S in Ft Sask Ab. He put that kit together with parts he had laying around. Alpine Yamaha fuel tank, MCX header/turbo, cpr intercooler, etc. It might be worth your time in taking it to him, he could go over the sled with you.

The picture you posted is the coils, unplug the connector. Then twist, wiggle the coils up, the spark plugs are about 6" down the hole or more.

Have you found a switch to run the electric fuel pump? We used to installed those on RX1 turbo kits to prime the carbs without running the engine.

Sounds like Red is your man for finding out all about your kit!
Looks like you found out where the plugs are. As Red said, detach the connector and then twist or wiggle them to loosen them, then pull them up and the plugs are under them.
Sometimes they really stick and you have to Gently pry them up and out.

Is it t
That sled was built by Darren @ E&S in Ft Sask Ab. He put that kit together with parts he had laying around. Alpine Yamaha fuel tank, MCX header/turbo, cpr intercooler, etc. It might be worth your time in taking it to him, he could go over the sled with you.

The picture you posted is the coils, unplug the connector. Then twist, wiggle the coils up, the spark plugs are about 6" down the hole or more.

Have you found a switch to run the electric fuel pump? We used to installed those on RX1 turbo kits to prime the carbs without running the engine.

Thanks ill try to contact him. No i have not found the electric fuel pump, what is that, and what does it do?

Thanks Guys! For all your help, I just sprayed some Quick Start (starter fluid) in to the turbo air intake and it started right up!
This is my first snowmobile, and i was just wondering is there certain precautions i should take so that it doesn't overheat or something? Or any other things i should watch for or know so my snowmobile doesn't die/breakdown this winter? Thanks Again!

Back