• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Season over, 7k miles, what service should I do?

i am from Québec and i had very bad starting and backfire my Sr Viper got only 7500 km and the dealer told me my valves was too tight
so they do a valve adjustement and changing shims and they told me Yamaha is paying for shims and 3.5 hours so i have to pay the balance 3.5 hours
because the total job was 7 hours ma warranty was over. Cost to me $ 337.35

i am from Québec and i had very bad starting and backfire my Sr Viper got only 7500 km and the dealer told me my valves was too tight
so they do a valve adjustement and changing shims and they told me Yamaha is paying for shims and 3.5 hours so i have to pay the balance 3.5 hours
because the total job was 7 hours ma warranty was over. Cost to me $ 337.35
Did it fix your issues?

i know on my xt350 when the valves got tight, it ran nuts hard until they would not close enough to start it any more.

Mine does same thing Allan. Hopefully all these weird run quality issues are just the programming/flash and not a internal engine issue like tight leaking valves. Will soon find out. I have one more ride planned for next weekend then will dig in.
Yesterday when riding in powder and on the throttle and I let go of the throttle and let the sled come to a stop it stalled. )This happen to be several times. (Check the tbs and it was 0 and 100%
The drop to Low idle (1250 rpm) on start up, now stalling . makes me wounder what going on. Rolled up on 18, 000 km today (3 winters ). All this only started in the last few weeks.
Mine is a 2016 and they changed the camshaft , valves stems and springs in 2016.

Last edited:
Changed them at the start of this season . 5400km on them.

ive changed my plugs 2 times since new...have almost 9000 miles and mine has never not started...and if i wait for the fuel pump it fires great all the time.

I think we should do a poll to see how many people are above 10k miles and if anyone else have had valve failures...be nice to track down the route cause....stock exhaust maybe? muffler? driving style...something to get us better info

Crap! Looks like I am checking valves this spring. I am hoping for good news since mine has gotten faster every year. But it has always had crappy idle but always was a good starter. The two start trys and even lately stalling on warm up after light is out I attributed to the tune and having stock exhaust back on but now I am worried. Could this be the reason behind variances in engines and terrible starters? Heck even could account for a kickback! Not happy this happened to even 1 person. No warranty either. XXXX!
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pro.../477809-7000-4-stroke-after-25-000-miles.html

Hmmm I seem to have the stalling on warm up issue also, to go with my overheating issue. I wonder if tight valves are my stalling issue?
I haven't had a chance to look any further into the problems. I guess it will be a summer project. I have 1200miles on mine

Hmmm I seem to have the stalling on warm up issue also, to go with my overheating issue. I wonder if tight valves are my stalling issue?
I haven't had a chance to look any further into the problems. I guess it will be a summer project. I have 1200miles on mine

Mine has always idled weird at start up, but this past weekend my second stock muffler blew a hole in it.
Now on cold starts it will not even run. It starts, burbles for a second then stalls. I have to give it gas to keep it running and it sounds like its running on 1 cylinder till it warms up then it is fine.
Just out of curiosity i think you should check it for minor exhaust leaks

way back when yellowknife was considering burning his viper. I thought burned ex valves, I figure with the front exhaust the valves are probably hotter. my nytro is nearing 24000 miles and it is getting to where when warm I have to crack the throttle a hair for a quicker start. I plan to shim this summer. hope the engine can stay in place.

Mine has always idled weird at start up, but this past weekend my second stock muffler blew a hole in it.
Now on cold starts it will not even run. It starts, burbles for a second then stalls. I have to give it gas to keep it running and it sounds like its running on 1 cylinder till it warms up then it is fine.
Just out of curiosity i think you should check it for minor exhaust leaks

My 2014 XTX just starting doing exactly what you mentioned. Good one day. bad next five days. Most problems at cold start up. Never had them last week, dealer says valve adjustment. Just not convinced yet? Any solution????

After 5 years and 25,000 miles I just replaced my Arctic Cat version of the Viper. I did less maintenance than is recommended on these pages. I relied on inspection and a maintenance schedule that resulted in very little interruption to the short snowmobile season. Disregarding wear items I had little breakdown before 15,000 miles. After 15,000 miles the parts that one would expect to fail didn’t and parts that should not fail did. Some of the unique repair requirements have been documented on the Arctic Chat forum. Parts that did not fail include the track, skid frame wheels and the clutch. The original belt lasted 15,000 miles. Parts that did fail included the valves, chain case and all related parts plus some others. Any thoughts or questions?

15000 miles on a belt?? wow nice!

You guys make it sound so easy. Ya just rebuild the motor, then put it back to together.....take off every bolt, inspect every piece, and put back together....is everybody a mechanic in this place? HA. I wouldn't even know how to change a wheel. I took the belt off yesterday, and it took me 10 mins to get back in...trying to open the clutch by hand, no adjuster tool! Frayed my belt a bit in the process :o|.

Some guys have some serious miles in this forum, which I'm sure is because you guys all know how to well maintain your sled! Knowledge is very valuable. For me, I'm gonna run it until it breaks, then bring it to the dealer and get them to fix it. I won't have this sled when the warranty runs out, so I'm gonna drive it like I rented it! But hey, I am a millennial after all!

Back