• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary clutch bushing failure

Exact same thing happened to me last winter. Pictures look the same. First time that I have ever been left stranded on a Yamaha....can't even blame it on Cat DNA....Yamaha clutches. I installed a new replacement bushing with Loctite and it started to move so I am going to try an Oilite bushing instead.

View attachment 159041 View attachment 159042 View attachment 159043

Wow same exact thing...

I actually pooched my jackshaft nursing it home. New one on order.

I guess this isn't an isolated incident. Be aware guys when you change this bushing.

Damn rebuilt both clutches, got 9 miles and felt a vibration by my left foot.
Got worse if I went over 30 mph.
Stopped trailside, both clutches super hot.....
One roller flat spotted.
Just took it apart, secondary clutch bushing half way out.
This was a new oem bushing.
Now what????
Just when you think it's safe to go ride the winder......

View attachment 158939 View attachment 158940
Things are looking rusty in that picture.

I only change these bushings if the teflon coating is gone or getting close to gone. I've seen people make the mistake of thinking this bushing is worn because it may seem a bit loose when the clutch is disassembled, but the sheaves should be bolted together without the spring and then observe if the bushing(s) is loose.
And do not lubricate these at all.

Have you guys with the bushing failure had you clutch machined down for offset?
If so what i see is the bushing hitting the shims that are too large diameter and taking out the bushing.

I only change these bushings if the teflon coating is gone or getting close to gone. I've seen people make the mistake of thinking this bushing is worn because it may seem a bit loose when the clutch is disassembled, but the sheaves should be bolted together without the spring and then observe if the bushing(s) is loose.
And do not lubricate these at all.
Agree 100%. These bushings are good for 7-10 k. IMO. Maybe more. The secondary is pretty decent on these

Have you guys with the bushing failure had you clutch machined down for offset?
If so what i see is the bushing hitting the shims that are too large diameter and taking out the bushing.
Mine is all stock. Cleaned and pressed new one in. No shim behind secondary.

Exact same thing happened to me last winter. Pictures look the same. First time that I have ever been left stranded on a Yamaha....can't even blame it on Cat DNA....Yamaha clutches. I installed a new replacement bushing with Loctite and it started to move so I am going to try an Oilite bushing instead.

View attachment 159041 View attachment 159042 View attachment 159043

I would NOT use an oilite in the secondary. I tried them when I was racing and they tend to bind up pretty hard in the secondary. Notice how the stock bushing has a special coating on it. Well that's to make it more slippery on the melanite coated secondary shaft and that's by design.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the bushings come out of clutches because of heat and improper clutching. It happens both in the primary and the secondary. If the belt is slipping or being over pinched, it's heating up the sheaves and releasing itself from the press fit that is built in.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the bushings come out of clutches because of heat and improper clutching. It happens both in the primary and the secondary. If the belt is slipping or being over pinched, it's heating up the sheaves and releasing itself from the press fit that is built in.
That’s no limb. Really have not seen this bushing letting go a lot on these secondary’s. Not saying it’s not happening at all but it’s no limb IMO. HEAT is getting them OR possibly a few bad manufactured tolerances along the way?

Had this happen on a number of 2-strokes in the past. I started using sleeve lock (a type of loctite) on the outside of the bushing and also slightly peen a little material of the clutch to keep it in place every time I replace bushings. Haven't had the issue since (15+ years).

Had this happen on a number of 2-strokes in the past. I started using sleeve lock (a type of loctite) on the outside of the bushing and also slightly peen a little material of the clutch to keep it in place every time I replace bushings. Haven't had the issue since (15+ years).

Same here on my 2001 SRX.
Tried pressing one in and it did not last but a day or two.
Took the secondary apart and brought it to the dealer.
He pressed another in for me and told me to keep it in a heated spot for the night before reassembling, so the glue would cure.
So my Bad with first attempt!

Back