• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seriously thinking of quitting the sport

I'm going to do another one where I put a 'self contained' 12v LED on top of the gauge pod. Right now, it's like in that thread so while riding, I don't see it. If the clutch is stuck and spinning the starter, it essentially becomes a generator so I want to be able to see if/when that happens. After burning two starters, I want to prevent any more from making the magic smoke :(

What do you do if the light is on and the starter still cranking? Just shut Sled down? That must stop it right.

I dunno. Shut it down, rip the covers off and start hitting the relay? Break out the tools and disconnect the battery? That's my best guess.

I would think the kill switch would do it but may be not once the relay made the connection to the battery for the starter.

I dunno. Shut it down, rip the covers off and start hitting the relay? Break out the tools and disconnect the battery? That's my best guess.
I keep looking at the local auto stores for a nice and compact disconnect switch. Have not found one yet but once I do I will connect that between the battery and the rest of the sled.

This thread certainly went :ot: from quitting snowmobiling to starter tech :).

I just finished working last night and this morning will finally install the second LED. I'm really hoping it was the relay because if it is the starter overrun clutch, that will probably spell the end to my non existent season :(

Its been snowing for three days in central BC. We have about 2 feet of powder with a 16inch base.

We just got about 15cm and the trails around here just opened to green. Of course, being the pessimist that I am, booked myself for an overtime shift on Friday night. That will screw up my Friday and Saturday. Will probably need the extra cash for repairs anyway. :(

We just got about 15cm and the trails around here just opened to green. Of course, being the pessimist that I am, booked myself for an overtime shift on Friday night. That will screw up my Friday and Saturday. Will probably need the extra cash for repairs anyway. :(
Keep ya chin up!

Just got 'er done again. I put two LED lights. If it acts up again, I WILL see it.

IMG_20180208_150145_resized889371883.jpg

Heading out now. Wish me luck!

Well, I survived! More importantly, my sled survived. I think it may have been bad solenoids. The one I have now is a spare I had from a part out that I actually found today. And the trails were just great. Just need a bit of lovin' from the groomers to make them perfect.

Still kicking myself in the #*$&@ for taking that overtime shift Friday night. I'll ride all day, work, then sleep and ride all weekend.

Deleting the draft of the "for sale" ad. :sled1:

I am taking a huge step back from the ledge. Heading up north tomorrow for a ride on Tug Hill with a few people. Looking forward to putting on the first miles for the season.

Back