• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seriously thinking of quitting the sport

Good luck bud. apparently a storm is heading that way. Should help. If not, keep driving north :)

Good luck bud. apparently a storm is heading that way. Should help. If not, keep driving north :)

Thank you. Redfield just hit 300" (760 cm) yesterday and more snow keeps falling north.

This was the radar from 8:15 today. Most of the schools in the blue area are closed today due to the snow.
230118161_Position3.JPG

Finally got out for a ride Saturday out on Tug Hill. Didn't put on huge miles, but was really nice to get out. Temperature was a bit warm and the falling wet snow froze almost instantly on my goggles making it difficult to keep clear. Even the guys with heated shields were having issues.

I went riding with my step-brother, my step-brothers friend and his girlfriend and my step-brothers dad. After a mi-afternoon lunch, our group got separated heading to Montague Inn from Copenhagen. My step-brother and his dad were ahead and out of sight. We realized we missed the turn to Montague. Didn't see the other 2 so we assumed they made the turn correctly. The 3 of us made a U-turn, made the correct turn and was at Montague 5 minutes later. My step-brother and his Dad were nowhere to be found. We decided to wait inside and get a coffee figuring they missed the turn too and would be along shortly once they realized the mistake and ended up at Flat Rock Inn. About 30 minutes later they still hadn't showed up and we were starting to get concerned. His friend and I were texting/calling both of them with no reply.

A couple minutes later his friend receives a text message my step-brother was hit by a car going 55 mph! I am going into full panic mode trying to get more details. I think I fired off about 27 different questions in the span of 10 seconds. His friend is getting messages about the situation. He tells me the sled is totaled, the car is totaled and I think they are all coming from his dad. Finally, I find out my step-brother WALKED away from the crash and is fine. The car hit the sled at the ski spindle, spun him off, sled spun around where the tunnel smashed into the side of the car and the car is 6 ft up a snow bank. My step-brother thrown off the sled and ended up in the middle of the road and none of the other cars hit him. I think we were at Montague Inn for about 2 hours before they showed up after riding 2-up from where the crash happened.

After having a cocktail to calm his nerves, we hit the trails back to the trucks. When we got back to the trucks and loaded up, my step-brothers dad went to unlock his truck and found out he lost his phone and truck keys. We called Onstar and was able to get the truck unlocked and I called Montague hoping someone turned them in. A very nice person who works in the kitchen walked out to where his sled was parked, dug through the snow and found both his keys and cell phone.

I dropped the other three off at Tuggers (another restaurant) right next to where were unloaded the sleds and drove his dad back to Montague to retrieve his phone and keys. We went back to Tuggers and had dinner.

After about 8 hours, I think we only rode 50 miles. While it wasn't my biggest mileage day, it certainly was my most interesting riding day and one I do NOT want to repeat!!

Wow. Damn crazy close call for sure. Machine is replaceable, people aren't. Glad it turned out OK.

Weekend was a bust for me. After working a night shift Friday/Saturday morning, went to pick up my son at noon so he could go to a job fair and then I was just too tired to do anything else. Sunday, started out good but about an hour into the ride, it started dropping freezing rain. :mad: Cut it short and headed home. Working all week and hoping the trails survive the thaw the next two days. And just found out my boss will be away for a while so I can't take time off from work :(.

Finally got out for a ride Saturday out on Tug Hill. Didn't put on huge miles, but was really nice to get out. Temperature was a bit warm and the falling wet snow froze almost instantly on my goggles making it difficult to keep clear. Even the guys with heated shields were having issues.

I went riding with my step-brother, my step-brothers friend and his girlfriend and my step-brothers dad. After a mi-afternoon lunch, our group got separated heading to Montague Inn from Copenhagen. My step-brother and his dad were ahead and out of sight. We realized we missed the turn to Montague. Didn't see the other 2 so we assumed they made the turn correctly. The 3 of us made a U-turn, made the correct turn and was at Montague 5 minutes later. My step-brother and his Dad were nowhere to be found. We decided to wait inside and get a coffee figuring they missed the turn too and would be along shortly once they realized the mistake and ended up at Flat Rock Inn. About 30 minutes later they still hadn't showed up and we were starting to get concerned. His friend and I were texting/calling both of them with no reply.

A couple minutes later his friend receives a text message my step-brother was hit by a car going 55 mph! I am going into full panic mode trying to get more details. I think I fired off about 27 different questions in the span of 10 seconds. His friend is getting messages about the situation. He tells me the sled is totaled, the car is totaled and I think they are all coming from his dad. Finally, I find out my step-brother WALKED away from the crash and is fine. The car hit the sled at the ski spindle, spun him off, sled spun around where the tunnel smashed into the side of the car and the car is 6 ft up a snow bank. My step-brother thrown off the sled and ended up in the middle of the road and none of the other cars hit him. I think we were at Montague Inn for about 2 hours before they showed up after riding 2-up from where the crash happened.

After having a cocktail to calm his nerves, we hit the trails back to the trucks. When we got back to the trucks and loaded up, my step-brothers dad went to unlock his truck and found out he lost his phone and truck keys. We called Onstar and was able to get the truck unlocked and I called Montague hoping someone turned them in. A very nice person who works in the kitchen walked out to where his sled was parked, dug through the snow and found both his keys and cell phone.

I dropped the other three off at Tuggers (another restaurant) right next to where were unloaded the sleds and drove his dad back to Montague to retrieve his phone and keys. We went back to Tuggers and had dinner.

After about 8 hours, I think we only rode 50 miles. While it wasn't my biggest mileage day, it certainly was my most interesting riding day and one I do NOT want to repeat!!
Hate getting split up. Then again, not good to be too close....like when I stopped for a road near the Hideaway, and my son crushed his leg between the apex tunnel and my sw rear bumper knocking me into the road. West Leyden ambulance (Awesome people) was there in about 8 minutes and took him to Utica trauma center...didn't break the leg, but it was nasty....but looking back....another story in the long history of tug hill area riding! Must focus all the time up there...I actually enjoy and approach any ride up there like talledega....trust no one, and stay focussed!

It's sad when the most sledding you've seen all season is on Snowtrax and listening to Mark talk about "sizzle". :(

It's sad when the most sledding you've seen all season is on Snowtrax and listening to Mark talk about "sizzle". :(

The way I look at Snowtrax (and most other review type shows/articles/etc) is they are being sponsored and they are not going to show a bad review of a sponsors product. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to harm the sponsors company. I'd be curious how many products are reviewed that are truly HORRIBLE. My guess is we will never know. I'm sure they provide feedback to the sponsor on why the product sucks.

The Lesters can be entertaining, if you take what they say with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism. I put more weight into friends and family (and TY) recommendations than I do Snowtrax, Amsnow, etc.

Yep, because the show is getting long in the tooth :p

Today, loaded the sleds into the trailer, which I found had a flat tire, because we're in full meltdown. Hoping that North Bay survives and I'll go there next weekend meeting up with my sons, hopefully.

Back