• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Clutching

Here is what I have for the secondary.
Note the 3 screws on the back side of the secondary are not longer used. Washers behind the secondary on the jackshaft are for setting proper off set.
View attachment 117770 View attachment 117771 View attachment 117772
View attachment 117773 View attachment 117774 View attachment 117775

They now add washers to the front side in different thicknesses to set the belt deflection.
View attachment 117776
View attachment 117777
View attachment 117778

thanks for the pics...

Looks freaking awesome!

Thanks for all the info guys,.. .i am so cranked up right now, can't wait for Next December and ride real production sleds,.. and by the way, just had a crappy year thanks to Team clutchs on Arctic Cat ZR8000 and ZR9000... so there is nooo way team clutchs will be ahead in 2017...GOOD JOB YAMAHA..:yam:

Does the SW use compression or torsional? And what is the helix angle?

what I dont like or understand...the yamaha primary has always been rock solid...and the slider bushings were top notch...why the hell would they go to buttons (ala poo and doo) which will fail way quicker? what for a littler less drag=power?
god I hope these come with all replaceable bushings like the old clutches and not the pressed in #*$&@...
Sj The old clutch held belt dust and other debris in the slider pockets from normal riding just by its design. This design should stay free of that by not allowing it to build in key areas such as where the buttons slide. With the machined surface its a double bonus.
Oh and finally a primary you can change belt side clearance on with out owning a machine shop. This new clutch should be a hit.
We will see.

Nothing that some compressed air couldn't take care of...there's little meat to those buttons...I hope they don't get sloppy like a team/poo clutch pre maturely...other than that...I like what I see

Nothing that some compressed air couldn't take care of...there's little meat to those buttons...I hope they don't get sloppy like a team/poo clutch pre maturely...other than that...I like what I see
Only if you can blow it out at every stop sign. Lol. Once it is compressed into the plastic and the metal its to late. Thats how all the small groves get in the sliding sheave and slider shoe. You will never Blow as much crap out of a poo or cat clutch as you do a yamaha. But sure like what I see on the new one for all the reasons above.
I will let you know by this time next year. Not trying to argue just my two cents. Cheers

you cant be talking about the 8dn belt....turbo power and all and never a issue..so it must be the 8jp....in that case its not a clutch issue...its a belt issue IMHO...

If the new clutches are supposed to hold the belt tighter. Maybe that will take care of the belt dust and rpm issues that the 8jp had in the vipers.

If the new clutches are supposed to hold the belt tighter. Maybe that will take care of the belt dust and rpm issues that the 8jp had in the vipers.
If I change the 137 track from the 1.25 ripper , to a 1.6 Cobra , or even a 1.5 ripper , will I have to do any weight changes in the clutch to compensate ?

If the 8jp is no good why is yami using it on their flagship sled?

Nobody said it wasnt any good. Was just not working for many of us on the Vipers. The 8dn or more specifically 8dn LENGTH worked better and was easy to clutch so some of us have stuck with that length or that belt. I for one will not run a 8DN. 8DN is a hard belt and will wear the clutch faces sooner than many other belts. It also will slip before the aftermarket belts will. Why not try the 8JP and see how it works. Many are happy with it. If it doesnt work there are alternatives in both 8DN length and 8JP length. The Sidewinder is a whole new game.

I think I'm gonna have the xtx5058 as my spare. The 8jp is quite a bit shorter than an 8dn.
Xtx-5033- 8DN/ Xtx 5058-8JP

Back