• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Clutching

Funny on dootalk the gates carbon cord was all the rage till they started leaving hair all over under the hood and shortly after began coming apart. Most went back to xtx. Or doo's 391.

Guys, I know the stock Yamaha primary was good, but the spider plastic bushings slid on cast surfaces. I believe that right around 2013 is when some casting molds had to be updated/re-made and since I work on clutching....you wouldn't believe the issues I have come across. I believe a lot has to do with why the Viper clutching needed so much attention....especially in the casting flash areas and drag on the primary.

I am so glad that we now have a fully machined clutch where the flat pucks ride on machined dimensions....not cast. Not to mention that as the new clutch wears, the flat pucks can be replaced and shims added under the pucks for precise tolerance. Look in your clutches and see how different the spider pucks are making marks in your moveable sheave.....you will think different after seeing it for yourself.

This new clutch with larger diameters will be just as strong and move freely as a billet aftermarket clutch. Add a 911 cover from Thunder Products and you will also have the strength of an aftermarket clutch. I'm very excited to see this clutch work.
Hi Nos,why would we want a 911 cover,dont the yammie cover hold just as good tolerances as the 911? the 911 would it need taller springs like doo springs,to work correctly,i am sure it has a beefier cover bushing,but I have had zero failures with any Yamaha covers or bushings,unlike cats junk clutches,you had to have a 911 cover and other parts to run a cat turbo,stock,and once boosted,you may as well rebuild the entire clutching,chaincase,and driveline,jackshafts,wobble bearings,man the list was endless.

Here is what I have for the secondary.
Note the 3 screws on the back side of the secondary are not longer used. Washers behind the secondary on the jackshaft are for setting proper off set.
View attachment 117770 View attachment 117771 View attachment 117772
View attachment 117773 View attachment 117774 View attachment 117775

They now add washers to the front side in different thicknesses to set the belt deflection.
View attachment 117776
View attachment 117777
View attachment 117778
That was how cat did it on there stock secondary on my 2013 lxr turbo,and it worked ok,was much easier than removing the complete secondary,and you could do it trailside with wrench that came with sled.

Hi Nos,why would we want a 911 cover,dont the yammie cover hold just as good tolerances as the 911? the 911 would it need taller springs like doo springs,to work correctly,i am sure it has a beefier cover bushing,but I have had zero failures with any Yamaha covers or bushings,unlike cats junk clutches,you had to have a 911 cover and other parts to run a cat turbo,stock,and once boosted,you may as well rebuild the entire clutching,chaincase,and driveline,jackshafts,wobble bearings,man the list was endless.
Reason I did it was anticipation of running 10000 rpm with Evo flash. Wanted all the strength possible. Never went that route though. Have been trying for more power lower in rpm. Much easier clutching and more efficient that way. I do set the side clearance now. Is nice not having to find wide belts.

The 911 cove has a bigger bushing and is a thicker cover than stock. It takes all deflection out of the clutch towers and makes clutching more consistant. Also allows you to adjust to belt width. In a yamaha you run the same springs as you would with a stock cover. No need to change spring unless you are changing spring rate. Plus its been tested to 12000 rpm. I also have 6500 miles on my clutch and it still doesn't need a rebuild. Pretty inexpensive mod for what you get. My opinion is that Yamaha has the best clutches on the market. 911 cover makes them better.

I'm with Shagman and Cannondale....the 911 cover makes the clutch easier to tune, the adjustability for different width belts (new vrs. worn), the longevity of the 911 cover bushing will last the lifetime of your sled and the increased strength the 911 cover gives the towers. You do not have to change springs. The 911 cover is a direct bolt on using all stock components. The bushing provides 200% more surface area to ensure the primary clutch stays centered and moves freely.....and to me, refuses to wear on my clutch.

just got mine from wahl bros .

I really gotta give it to Yamaha for the changes to the primary!

Be nice to have shims that will go under the pucks when wear becomes a factor
just use the ones for a comet .

Back