• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Clutching

i too red somewhere belt deflection adjustment was easier can't remeber where.. is this not a pre production model? and how close do you think the production models will be? thanks for info..
I just love those roller secondaries...

Ill try to get some pics of the adjustment.

what I dont like or understand...the yamaha primary has always been rock solid...and the slider bushings were top notch...why the hell would they go to buttons (ala poo and doo) which will fail way quicker? what for a littler less drag=power?
god I hope these come with all replaceable bushings like the old clutches and not the pressed in #*$&@...

me too am wondering why the change in the primary...but i'm sure there is a good reason that will still maintain reliability

Like a friend of mine said the belt deflection adjustment is very primative. Pretty sad for a sled that costs this much.
Well I can tell you from personal exsperiance with Yamaha clutching,and I have run all of todays sleds clutches,sense I have owned several from all 4 manufacturers,yamahas are the easiet to tune,and the best to stay tuned,you do the least on either primary or secondary,so don't worrie aboput taken three little bolts out and adding or subtracting a washer to adjust deflection,because these clutches are so good to belt life you wont be adjusting much at all,unless you run aftermarket weights and helix's that require some test and tune,if you keep it all stock,you will go all year and than some on stock belt.

me too am wondering why the change in the primary...but i'm sure there is a good reason that will still maintain reliability
Well there change required a larger dia. primary,so I guess there must of been some input from some about the plastic square pucks that I like to the old style poo style round pucks,while they were making a larger primary,i am sure with Yamahas quality we wont have a problem,i have had lots of poo's over the years,andd nnever had one failure with there primary clutch.

what I dont like or understand...the yamaha primary has always been rock solid...and the slider bushings were top notch...why the hell would they go to buttons (ala poo and doo) which will fail way quicker? what for a littler less drag=power?
god I hope these come with all replaceable bushings like the old clutches and not the pressed in #*$&@...

Guys, I know the stock Yamaha primary was good, but the spider plastic bushings slid on cast surfaces. I believe that right around 2013 is when some casting molds had to be updated/re-made and since I work on clutching....you wouldn't believe the issues I have come across. I believe a lot has to do with why the Viper clutching needed so much attention....especially in the casting flash areas and drag on the primary.

I am so glad that we now have a fully machined clutch where the flat pucks ride on machined dimensions....not cast. Not to mention that as the new clutch wears, the flat pucks can be replaced and shims added under the pucks for precise tolerance. Look in your clutches and see how different the spider pucks are making marks in your moveable sheave.....you will think different after seeing it for yourself.

This new clutch with larger diameters will be just as strong and move freely as a billet aftermarket clutch. Add a 911 cover from Thunder Products and you will also have the strength of an aftermarket clutch. I'm very excited to see this clutch work.

Here is what I have for the secondary.
Note the 3 screws on the back side of the secondary are not longer used. Washers behind the secondary on the jackshaft are for setting proper off set.
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG

They now add washers to the front side in different thicknesses to set the belt deflection.
IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

12499002_10153349924507466_455588741_n.jpg Will the osp adjuster work on the new secondary?

Thats a great question. I will have to see.

I believe it will work, from what I am seeing in the pics. I will be bringing some stuff with me April 10th....if they let me do some wrenching

Be good to see and have answers to my clutching questions.

Guys, I know the stock Yamaha primary was good, but the spider plastic bushings slid on cast surfaces. I believe that right around 2013 is when some casting molds had to be updated/re-made and since I work on clutching....you wouldn't believe the issues I have come across. I believe a lot has to do with why the Viper clutching needed so much attention....especially in the casting flash areas and drag on the primary.

I am so glad that we now have a fully machined clutch where the flat pucks ride on machined dimensions....not cast. Not to mention that as the new clutch wears, the flat pucks can be replaced and shims added under the pucks for precise tolerance. Look in your clutches and see how different the spider pucks are making marks in your moveable sheave.....you will think different after seeing it for yourself.

This new clutch with larger diameters will be just as strong and move freely as a billet aftermarket clutch. Add a 911 cover from Thunder Products and you will also have the strength of an aftermarket clutch. I'm very excited to see this clutch work.

thanks for explaining....makes sense...I havent fooled with the clutches since my 12' and barely then either...
I would have to agree then if there were binding issues...

Back