• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

Split the hose where?

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

Split it pretty much where it comes out of the top of the engine. Works good, no oil coming out after 500 miles running it this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heated seat quit working all together this past weekend. Today I realized my right (throttle side) handlebar warmer is not working properly. It is only warm on the high setting. The left side is much hotter. Here I thought I needed warmer gloves, but after trading sleds and the next rider's right hand freezing too, we discovered it is the sled itself. Dealer will be getting another call tomorrow.

My heated seat quit working all together this past weekend. Today I realized my right (throttle side) handlebar warmer is not working properly. It is only warm on the high setting. The left side is much hotter. Here I thought I needed warmer gloves, but after trading sleds and the next rider's right hand freezing too, we discovered it is the sled itself. Dealer will be getting another call tomorrow.

Same issue on my Friends 2017 X-TX-LE heated seat wont work and left side hand warmer doesn't work, keep me posted on what they find he has not taken it to dealer as it just happened 2 days ago

Had a oil pressure sensor replaced under warranty due to repetitive code 30 being reported even through oil pressure was OK. Unfortunately it did no resolve the issue and sled is now again back in the shop for further work :(

Had it back in again as it shut down post sensor replacement. I've just been advised that they are going to replace my entire wiring harness as a result of cracking and faulty connectors.....

02/19/2018 - 2018 Sidewinder LTX LE - 1865 miles - lost the sight glass, fell inside the chain case. Did a trail side fix and limped back 25 miles, painful.
Took it to the dealer, no explanation as to why..... The sight glass was sitting in the bottom of the chain case unharmed.
My feeling, nothing holding it in. Whatever they used (bead of something) didn't hold. The reason I say this is I asked to have oil tank resealed.
The material on the oil tank literally fell off the case, apparently no adhesion. The mechanic actually commented "this stuff doesn't like oil".
Mechanic took a pointed punch and knurled the sight glass hole and installed with Yamabond, then knurled a bit more after install.
Sent me home with fluids so it would cure.
Had to have the display (speedometer) replaced, the right side was intermittent, flashing all kinds of data. Retained hours, 0 miles on odometer.

Last edited:
Same issue on my Friends 2017 X-TX-LE heated seat wont work and left side hand warmer doesn't work, keep me posted on what they find he has not taken it to dealer as it just happened 2 days ago
Is at dealer's right now. Verified heated seat not working, no problem. Said hand and thumb warmer are smoking hot. I said yup, both work, but right is not as hot as left and you would understand if riding in single digit temps or on rr grade cruising at 60 mph. You can't replicate it without gloves and sitting in heated shop. So, next reply I got was new seat and grip warmer on order. ;)!

Brought my sled in to get leak on oil tank repaired. When they took exhaust off they noticed the turbo didn't spin freely and blade was rubbing the casing. They replaced the turbo. They said bushing was bad. 4000km.

BINGO!
You nailed it. The seal was pissing oil. Cause was not determined but the Tech at the dealership called Yamaha Canada and was told to do a pressure test on the reservoir. Once he did, he found the leak pretty easily. The “seal” was replaced and it’s good to go. Of note- the Tech at the dealership said this is the result of Yamaha marrying Arctic Cat, that if it was Yamaha’s frame, a gasket not a silicone seal would have been used and this would never have been an issue. I hope if others are experiencing this breakdown, that Yamaha will do an update and install proper gaskets to seal the reservoirs. It was all covered by warranty.

When the Tech called Yamaha Canada, their suggestion for the cause of the oil leak was condensation buildup in the Rollover valve, which then froze, causing the pressure buildup, which caused the silicone seal to fail. They said that I am driving the sled when the sleds cold. In other words, I haven’t allowed sufficient engine warm ups. I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 and they are idled till the flashing red instrument cluster light stops, before I go anywhere- as instructed by the dealer Tech where I purchased both. Yesterday, the failure occurred at the end of a 90 minute hard run, including running the sled up to 170km/h at one point. So, how does it freeze?? Excessive speed in cold temps?? About minus 26 when I was riding yesterday. If that’s the case, then I think it’s a design flaw, because no parts should fail due to normal usage in normal cold temps, especially in 2017.

On another note- great experience at this dealership. Everyone genuinely cared and were very friendly. The Tech- Darwin- was excellent. Dealership- Premier Yamaha, SSTE Marie, On.
I had this exact scenario happen to me in Hearst. Oil vent line froze in the air box causing pressure to blow oil tank seal. Repaired and slit the line (for now until Yamaha figures out a real fix) so excess pressure could be released if needed. No problems after this.

I had this exact scenario happen to me in Hearst. Oil vent line froze in the air box causing pressure to blow oil tank seal. Repaired and slit the line (for now until Yamaha figures out a real fix) so excess pressure could be released if needed. No problems after this.

I want to see a picture of where you are making this slit? 2nd time I have heard this.

I am guessing the slit has to be before the rollover valve, if the valve freezes the pressure goes out the slit....

Had it back in again as it shut down post sensor replacement. I've just been advised that they are going to replace my entire wiring harness as a result of cracking and faulty connectors.....

Update.. Harness not available until min March 20th. That would make it almost 7 weeks in the shop for this last problem.... Such fantastic warranty service....

Back