• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

Just happened. It has 600kms on it and I'm driving 4 hours tomorrow to the nearest dealer, hoping its only a minor issue.
015 (1024x768).jpg

What exactly happened?
I don't know. It just started smoking. I think its an oil line that blew near the muffler. I spoke to the tech at the Yamaha dealer in Sault Ste Marie and that's his thought. I will know for sure tomorrow morning. I'm hearin g some Sidewinders are blowing the chaincases up north here. It couldn't have been that- I drove it 5 kms after it started smoking, shut it off. Then drove it into the trailer. Is it possible to do all that with a blown chaincase?

4hr drive! Both ways, I pray. IDK.......hope they get you back on the trail in no time.

I'd take the heat shields off and see if it's a loose hose clamp somewhere. I've had to tighten most hose clamps on my sled. As far as blown chaincases... First I've heard of that, 1 year on these sleds with many running big boost.

with temps as cold as theyve been ...everything shrinks..even oil filter gaskets can leak with ultra cold temps if not tightened properly....most likely an oil line leak...slight chance case or reservoir gasket leak...pull the muffler and know in minutes..

Four hours one way. Pissing oil- hoping its only a hose issue.
020 (1024x768).jpg

with temps as cold as theyve been ...everything shrinks..even oil filter gaskets can leak with ultra cold temps if not tightened properly....most likely an oil line leak...slight chance case or reservoir gasket leak...pull the muffler and know in minutes..
The Technician at the Yamaha dealer in Sault Ste Marie told me he would know pretty quick, so I will be there when they open at 830am.

The Technician at the Yamaha dealer in Sault Ste Marie told me he would know pretty quick, so I will be there when they open at 830am.

And I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 when they're not being used!!! So the minus 40 weather we've been getting here doesn't matter.

Sucks... Sorry.. You'll be back riding quick... And consider riding in Brimley after ..

And I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 when they're not being used!!! So the minus 40 weather we've been getting here doesn't matter.
Looks to be coming from the rollover valve. Check to see that it didn’t just come apart. If it did and internal parts are still in it. Take them out put housing back together. Wrap some tape around it and ride. Later buy a rollover valve kit from Four Stroke Solutions and ditch the stocker.

Looks to be coming from the rollover valve. Check to see that it didn’t just come apart. If it did and internal parts are still in it. Take them out put housing back together. Wrap some tape around it and ride. Later buy a rollover valve kit from Four Stroke Solutions and ditch the stocker.
I am grateful for your input and expertise, but I will let Yamaha fix it under warranty. Its the wife's sled and she's happy to be able to do some shopping while we are in the Soo tomorrow. Not much to choose from up here in the Wadge.
Thank you

I'll bet it's the seal between the chaincase and oil tank, the oil tank seal in particular. Assuming its engine oil, if gear oil possibly the adjuster bolt came loose. Keep us posted.

Back