• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

Sucks... Sorry.. You'll be back riding quick... And consider riding in Brimley after ..

Right by the Soo

Roll over valve could be it also.. or If plugged can pressurize the reservoir and cause to puke oil out the seal

You can also bypass and join the two hoses in minutes with hardware store parts and keep riding like Cannondale suggested

I am grateful for your input and expertise, but I will let Yamaha fix it under warranty. Its the wife's sled and she's happy to be able to do some shopping while we are in the Soo tomorrow. Not much to choose from up here in the Wadge.
Thank you

With the wife shopping she may do more damage to your wallet than the 'winder. Hope it works out and you guys are riding this weekend.
Best of the season.

Right by the Soo

Roll over valve could be it also.. or If plugged can pressurize the reservoir and cause to puke oil out the seal

You can also bypass and join the two hoses in minutes with hardware store parts and keep riding like Cannondale suggested

BINGO!
You nailed it. The seal was pissing oil. Cause was not determined but the Tech at the dealership called Yamaha Canada and was told to do a pressure test on the reservoir. Once he did, he found the leak pretty easily. The “seal” was replaced and it’s good to go. Of note- the Tech at the dealership said this is the result of Yamaha marrying Arctic Cat, that if it was Yamaha’s frame, a gasket not a silicone seal would have been used and this would never have been an issue. I hope if others are experiencing this breakdown, that Yamaha will do an update and install proper gaskets to seal the reservoirs. It was all covered by warranty.

When the Tech called Yamaha Canada, their suggestion for the cause of the oil leak was condensation buildup in the Rollover valve, which then froze, causing the pressure buildup, which caused the silicone seal to fail. They said that I am driving the sled when the sleds cold. In other words, I haven’t allowed sufficient engine warm ups. I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 and they are idled till the flashing red instrument cluster light stops, before I go anywhere- as instructed by the dealer Tech where I purchased both. Yesterday, the failure occurred at the end of a 90 minute hard run, including running the sled up to 170km/h at one point. So, how does it freeze?? Excessive speed in cold temps?? About minus 26 when I was riding yesterday. If that’s the case, then I think it’s a design flaw, because no parts should fail due to normal usage in normal cold temps, especially in 2017.

On another note- great experience at this dealership. Everyone genuinely cared and were very friendly. The Tech- Darwin- was excellent. Dealership- Premier Yamaha, SSTE Marie, On.

BINGO!
You nailed it. The seal was pissing oil. Cause was not determined but the Tech at the dealership called Yamaha Canada and was told to do a pressure test on the reservoir. Once he did, he found the leak pretty easily. The “seal” was replaced and it’s good to go. Of note- the Tech at the dealership said this is the result of Yamaha marrying Arctic Cat, that if it was Yamaha’s frame, a gasket not a silicone seal would have been used and this would never have been an issue. I hope if others are experiencing this breakdown, that Yamaha will do an update and install proper gaskets to seal the reservoirs. It was all covered by warranty.

When the Tech called Yamaha Canada, their suggestion for the cause of the oil leak was condensation buildup in the Rollover valve, which then froze, causing the pressure buildup, which caused the silicone seal to fail. They said that I am driving the sled when the sleds cold. In other words, I haven’t allowed sufficient engine warm ups. I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 and they are idled till the flashing red instrument cluster light stops, before I go anywhere- as instructed by the dealer Tech where I purchased both. Yesterday, the failure occurred at the end of a 90 minute hard run, including running the sled up to 170km/h at one point. So, how does it freeze?? Excessive speed in cold temps?? About minus 26 when I was riding yesterday. If that’s the case, then I think it’s a design flaw, because no parts should fail due to normal usage in normal cold temps, especially in 2017.

On another note- great experience at this dealership. Everyone genuinely cared and were very friendly. The Tech- Darwin- was excellent. Dealership- Premier Yamaha, SSTE Marie, On.
A good dealership goes a long way when you have problems. Some dealers should just close their doors because they are useless in making their customers happy.

The wife and I had both Sidewinders out this afternoon for a couple of hours. It was cold, minus 20’s. Her 18 RTX 50th ran like a charm, once the oil that had leaked out of the reservoir on Thursday had burned off. No more leaking, so far. I hope that’s the end of that issue.

I'm thinking that roll over valve is a pain and for us trail riders do we really need it? I know if your a mountain rider or a big time off trail guy it might be needed but I can't remember the last time I had my sled roll over.

I am grateful for your input and expertise, but I will let Yamaha fix it under warranty. Its the wife's sled and she's happy to be able to do some shopping while we are in the Soo tomorrow. Not much to choose from up here in the Wadge.
Thank you

Was looking for an update but didn't realize there was another page in the thread.

Looks to be coming from the rollover valve. Check to see that it didn’t just come apart. If it did and internal parts are still in it. Take them out put housing back together. Wrap some tape around it and ride. Later buy a rollover valve kit from Four Stroke Solutions and ditch the stocker.
Don't see it for the sidewinder ? is it the same as the viper ones?

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

Had a oil pressure sensor replaced under warranty due to repetitive code 30 being reported even through oil pressure was OK. Unfortunately it did no resolve the issue and sled is now again back in the shop for further work :(

I had the oil leak problem on my first ride with my new sidewinder. It was the oil vent tube on top of the engine. It goes to the air box where the end freezes and doesn't allow the oil pressure to escape and then blows the silicon seal on the oil pan. The Yamaha tech split the hose on the top in case it freezes again (also had to reseal the oil pan) the pressure can still be let out. The dealer is hoping for a better fix down the road.

I had the oil leak problem on my first ride with my new sidewinder. It was the oil vent tube on top of the engine. It goes to the air box where the end freezes and doesn't allow the oil pressure to escape and then blows the silicon seal on the oil pan. The Yamaha tech split the hose on the top in case it freezes again (also had to reseal the oil pan) the pressure can still be let out. The dealer is hoping for a better fix down the road.
Split the hose where?

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

I was thinking that as my apex has a split hose. I would like to keep a closed system, ie, no open hose to the oil reservoir, so what if I put a T before the rov, run a hose up and around as many do, only plug the end and either put a low pressure one way valve in line (instead of plugging) or just a simple slit, so if the rov freezes, there will be a relief other than the tank seal? The rov opens with pressure blowing on it, so that would still be the primary path of tank vapors.....the slit wouldnt allow much oil to seep out, in case of a rollover, and I'd make it big enough so blowing in the closed hose opens the slit...I couldn't find any suitable duckbill valves...that would be ideal...imo. Thoughts?

Back