• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Year to Year Performance

Simplespeed

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex , 2017 Sidewinder LTX -LE
Has any model year stood out above the others? It seems this sled has been extremely consistent and not alot of variables from year to year… Talking about motor performance on each model year in both stock form and tuned form.. Comments on engine and power please…..

my 2022 just doesn't seem to have the juice my 2017 did. Maybe I am used to it or maybe I just have not yet found the right combo that this sled likes yet.
I will continue to try to find the combo that makes my 2022 go like I think it should

There's no difference that I'm aware of except for the clutching specs that were different on 19's and up.

Has any model year stood out above the others? It seems this sled has been extremely consistent and not alot of variables from year to year… Talking about motor performance on each model year in both stock form and tuned form.. Comments on engine and power please…..

All years and models make the same engine power and are capable of the same power tuned including the Cat versions.

my 2022 just doesn't seem to have the juice my 2017 did. Maybe I am used to it or maybe I just have not yet found the right combo that this sled likes yet.
I will continue to try to find the combo that makes my 2022 go like I think it should
Did you ever get a chance to run them side by side or time them with radar, dragy, or timing lights or even another sled you ride with?

Can't imagine there is a "Faster" year for the Winder. I think it may have more to do with the way they are broken in. I personally think there's allot to be said for breaking them in hard. Maybe this is more myth than fact, but I will continue to run them hard from the get go.

Can't imagine there is a "Faster" year for the Winder. I think it may have more to do with the way they are broken in. I personally think there's allot to be said for breaking them in hard. Maybe this is more myth than fact, but I will continue to run them hard from the get go.
Yup. Run it like you stole it!

I would tend to agree with you on a harder than normal break in from my experience with many new sleds .. I can also state that motor’s I broke in using the progressive heat soak method also ran very well… In fact I can also state that I have never has a issue either way… The only thing I have noticed is motor’s that were broke in hard right from the start did have a small amount of additional wear in the cross hatch .. The easy broke in motors look of less wear after the breakin period around 10 hours . This did not effect performance in either case as near as I could tell.. Manufacturing tolerances, oil quality, and conditions the motor was run probably had more influence than how hard it was broke in …

My friends '17 is faster than my '21. Really not sure why other than my '21 has always felt really tight compared to his. No parking brake needed on mine when parked on a hill. His will roll down plus another 100 yards lol.

Back