• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow flap trimming worries

morg

Lifetime Member
Hi. I'm thinking of trimming the flap on my 08 Ltx Gt. It keeps tucking under when I back up. Will this have any ill effects such as decreased lube to the sliders or cooling? I'm thinking more snow out the back might mean less build up in the tunnel too.
Thanks.

morg said:
Hi. I'm thinking of trimming the flap on my 08 Ltx Gt. It keeps tucking under when I back up. Will this have any ill effects such as decreased lube to the sliders or cooling? I'm thinking more snow out the back might mean less build up in the tunnel too.
Thanks.

Curious on this one as well.

Mine hits the ground and wants to tuck up under when I am unloading from the trailer, I already have a crack started in the top left corner and that happened on only my second ride this year.

It is also a "NEW" flap and was just replaced at nearly $100 dollars. :o|

Thinking seriously about cutting it at the bottom line?

Attachments

• HPIM1158 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1158 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 106
I have heard of over-heating problems after trimming snow flaps. Another option is to hook a strap from the snow flap to the bumper to hold it out a bit

cut it right at that first line, and no more probs with coming off the trailer or backing. works great for three years! oh and no probs with overheating, it may throw a bit more crap though, I was able to completely fill a buddys helmut with snow, he forgot to close his shield, he won;t pull up behind me again!

Irv said:
morg said:
Thanks.

Mine hits the ground and wants to tuck up under when I am unloading from the trailer, I already have a crack started in the top left corner and that happened on only my second ride this year.

I have the same flap but I installed a metal coil backing that presses the flap out and prevents it from tucking back into the track. Works great. I will try to snap a pic of the other side of the flap tomorrow.
SDC12572-1.jpg

Honk said:
cut it right at that first line, and no more probs with coming off the trailer or backing. works great for three years! oh and no probs with overheating, it may throw a bit more crap though, I was able to completely fill a buddys helmut with snow, he forgot to close his shield, he won;t pull up behind me again!

Thats funny!! :jump:

Apex2006 said:
Irv said:
morg said:
Thanks.

I have the same flap but I installed a metal coil backing that presses the flap out and prevents it from tucking back into the track. Works great. I will try to snap a pic of the other side of the flap tomorrow.
SDC12572-1.jpg

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the pics ;)!

I tried running a strap around the bumper and using a big rivet to the flap to keep it from getting sucked in, and any time you back into any deeper snow it rips the rivet right out... I tried using washers and other tricks and nothing was strong enough. :( Cutting the flap does increase the roost. Riding partners don't like it.

Irv said:
Apex2006 said:
Irv said:
morg said:
Thanks.

SDC12572-1.jpg

Here is a couple of pics:
SDC13160.jpg

SDC13159.jpg

SDC13164.jpg

Apex2006 said:
Irv said:
Apex2006 said:
Irv said:
morg said:
Thanks.

SDC12572-1.jpg

Here is a couple of pics:
SDC13160.jpg

SDC13159.jpg

SDC13164.jpg
Thanks Apex2006, do you have any issues with overheating or the like?
I ask because seeing your's stick out like it does puts it at about the same height as if I were to cut mine where I said I would?

Is the spring your using a old bed spring, it looks like it to me but I want to make sure I do it right the first time and use what you have been using all along.

Thanks again, I appreciate you helping me out with the pics and info ;)!

Never had a problem with overheating and this is will be my 3rd year with it like this. The coil spring is from my previous Arctic Cat ZRT flap. It works great and keeps the roost from shooting up to high. Others have commented that cutting the flap is fine with no problems, but thought I would give you an option (-:
:-o

I have the same isssue when unloading, but I can hold the flap whil off the sled and just goose it enough to get free of the trailer. My buddy has 144 studs and his flap is all kinds of chewed up from reverse.

Fortunately replacements are only $30, but I will be sure to show my buddy Apex06's idea, I think that is a really good solution!

Back