• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Some thoughts on oil consumption

Jim,

I have no experience with Seafoam or any ring-free type of products but it appears that the seafoam treatment is working. The compression going up is probably a result of the rings becoming free to expand and move in the ring lands. It is very encouraging to see the excellent compression readings. I hope you see a drastic reduction in oil consumption. Please keep us posted! I reccomend you continue using the seafoam in the gas at the reccommend dose tosee if the compression stays at the high values. Sounds encouraging!!

Well I have an incredible new update for my oil consumption issue. I got a call from Yamaha Corp. about my burning oil issue. Apparently they contacted my dealer...the good one I switched to after my nightmare with the local dealer I dealt with all last year. I didn't get all of the details about how what happened there, but my take on things is that Yamaha asked them about me and my sled, and that dealer told them I had been there talking with them about it. Apparently the dealer expressed their concerns about my problem, and now the Yamaha rep wants my sled checked out! I'm going to go for a ride one day this week to give the engine a good workout to see what, if any, affects the Seafoam had, and to clean it out of the engine before it goes in for compression and leakdown tests. Then I'll drop it off and wait for news.

Now I've gone through a few different channels in an effort to get the sled looked at, and I don't which one had the most effect, or if it was a combination of more than one effort. I'd like to thank MrSled for going through his routes to help me out. I'd also like to thank North Country Power Sports in Lancaster, N.H. for going the extra mile to look into this problem, and back me up with Yamaha. Its too early to know what, if anything, will come out of the inspection, but at least they are trying. And, for the record, if Yamaha comes through and helps out with this problem, I will come back on here and publicly thank them...and you can bet I won't complain about their customer service any more if this is dealt with.

Jim

I opened the paper this morning and there to my great surprize is an ad for a whole line of Sea Foam products. They are available through dealers in Canada now. So I guess I can try this stuff that everyone has been talking about out now. ;)! ;)!

Yamaha dealers or some other type of dealer?

If other please advise.

nhrxrider said:
Well I have an incredible new update for my oil consumption issue. I got a call from Yamaha Corp. about my burning oil issue. Apparently they contacted my dealer...the good one I switched to after my nightmare with the local dealer I dealt with all last year. I didn't get all of the details about how what happened there, but my take on things is that Yamaha asked them about me and my sled, and that dealer told them I had been there talking with them about it. Apparently the dealer expressed their concerns about my problem, and now the Yamaha rep wants my sled checked out! I'm going to go for a ride one day this week to give the engine a good workout to see what, if any, affects the Seafoam had, and to clean it out of the engine before it goes in for compression and leakdown tests. Then I'll drop it off and wait for news.

Now I've gone through a few different channels in an effort to get the sled looked at, and I don't which one had the most effect, or if it was a combination of more than one effort. I'd like to thank MrSled for going through his routes to help me out. I'd also like to thank North Country Power Sports in Lancaster, N.H. for going the extra mile to look into this problem, and back me up with Yamaha. Its too early to know what, if anything, will come out of the inspection, but at least they are trying. And, for the record, if Yamaha comes through and helps out with this problem, I will come back on here and publicly thank them...and you can bet I won't complain about their customer service any more if this is dealt with.

Jim

Well even if they do finally come through I think it took way to long to get your sled looked at and fixed. This is not satisfactory warranty in my mind. I hope the best for you though! ;)!

I use oil, but I am always towing though. 1 qt/500 mile typical, I fill to full mark. Can't tell where the oil is going and suspect it is being burnt off in the cylinders somehow, either past the valve guides or the rings but doesn't matter. Burning oil just helps lube it up I figure....

Well I haven't been on this site for many months, mainly because many of you felt I was complaining about poor dealer service for no reason. Well last time I posted to this thread, I said that I would update when/if my sled got fixed. Well it looks like it won't be fixed. Here are the updates since the last time I posted to this thread.

Feb. '05: Dropped the sled off at the dealer.
March '05: Dealer inspected sled, found 25-35% leakdown across the 4 cylinders. They said they would try to get the sled fixed so i could have a few weeks of riding before the season ends.
July '05: Dealer had my engine apart, and literally thrown in 3 cardboard boxes, uncovered, under a work bench. Service manager said that they were busy working on boats and didn't know when they would be able to get to it.
Sept. 30: I stopped by again to see if they expected to have it ready before riding season, but found the dealer had closed! They were out of business, and my sled was gone (along with all the others).

I saw Yamahas at another dealer, and when I checked, I found they had the Yamaha line now. They had my sled, but the service advisor knew nothing about why it was there, what was wrong with it, or even who owned it. I explained the history, and he said that there was no chance they could put it back together for this season, if ever. To quote him, he said the "junk" they had in boxes that came from the other dealer "was a mess". He said he would contact Yamaha to see whats going on with it, but that they didn't want anything to do with the deal. I can't blame them, they only inherited the problem from the other dealer.

So that is the status of my sled after nearly 8 months at the dealer just to get new rings.

Jim

Well a couple new updates. (Moderators, please feel free to put this in another thread...I just don't want to start a new thread for this rehash).

I spoke with Yamaha, who gave me a great sympathy story on the phone. They were apologetic and expressed concern, and vowed to get this settled. They were going to talk to the dealer. I get a return phone call, message left on machine. They said that they are looking into hiring in the mechanic who disassembled my sled to put it back together. Well I'm grateful that they are looking into it, but I have a bit of a problem with their solution. First of all, they want the same idiot who carelessly threw my disassembled engine into dirty cardboard boxes under a work bench to put it back together. Next, they want to try to salvage these parts. i know there would be usable parts, but these things have been out in the air for 8 months, with steel parts (crank, cams, etc.) getting rusty. I'm sure the bearings have nicks from rattling around in the boxes with the other parts.

I managed to talk to a local lawyer who handles these kinds of things, and she said that I should be entitled to nothing less than a new engine. I'm waiting to hear back from her to see if they have time to take on the case.

I called Yamaha back today because they never called back last Tuesday like they were supposed to. The woman who is handling it wasn't in, but the person I spoke with checked her notes and it doesn't look like there is any progress yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love my sled and want it back. But most of all, I love riding, and want to be on the trails this season.

Jim

That really bites Jim :o| I think your only recourse is to go after the old dealer, since he is the one responsible for not taking better care of your motor. Keep us advised as to the outcome I don't blame you one bit for being extremely frustrated.

I can't go to the old dealer, because they are out of business, and their service people weren't hired on by the new dealer. In fact, so far, out of 3 dealers that I have dealt with on this issue, 2 have gone out of business. Funny how in the past people have put the blame on me for my problems with the dealers, but now 2 out of 3 are out of business. Oh well, thats ancient history.

I finally spoke with Yamaha this morning. This is the first time they have spoken with me since October 7th. They were supposed to call me back on the 11th and never did. I tried again on the 17th but was given the runaround. I asked for the woman I had been dealing with to call me back (they said I woudl need to talk with her). She never did. I called 3 times yesterday. The first call I left a message, and was told she was on break and would call me back in 10 minutes. An hour later I had to call twice to get through to someone, and was told she had left for the day. I left a message on her machine telling her that I have been in touch with a lawyer, and that I have a letter typed up for the N.H. Atty. General to start lemon law proceedings. Funny, after that she called me first thing this morning.

She asked how things are going, and I said she needed to tell me that, because I haven't heard anything. According to her the dealer has been keeping in touch with me. I told her I haven't spoken with the dealer since several days before the 7th. She was surprised, because they have been telling her that we "are keeping in constant contact". I expressed my concern about them wanting the same careless mechanic who took my sled apart to be the one who puts it back together. I also expressed concern about them trying to use the dirty, rusty parts that have been sitting in boxes for almost 9 months (now) to reassemble the motor.

At this point she said she needs to speak to the regional rep and let him know my concerns. Hopefully I will be getting a new motor, not a reassembly of my old junk. With snow on the ground here, I'm getting excited and anxious to have my sled back.

Jim

Riceburner said:
Yamaha dealers or some other type of dealer?

If other please advise.

Sorry it took so long for me to notice this request I didnt realize till now it was for me.

It is an automobile dealer!

Back