• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Something let go in chaincase

MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

Will Yamaha warranty the chain case with the turbo system?

Yes I believe so, it was a bearing failure. I would guess that's why she jumped out of gear on me. I even check it over but did not see the start of it... so those of you that have had them jump into neutral, I would tear it down and really take a good look at that upper jack-shaft bearing.

Also stingray719, to me your post even tho I know you are frustrated with some users... was way over the top and not necessary... all that does is stir the pot.

Which bearing? The jackshaft bearing or the drive axle bearing?

jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

Yes I believe so, it was a bearing failure. I would guess that's why she jumped out of gear on me. I even check it over but did not see the start of it... so those of you that have had them jump into neutral, I would tear it down and really take a good look at that upper jack-shaft bearing.

Also stingray719, to me your post even tho I know you are frustrated with some users... was way over the top and not necessary... all that does is stir the pot.

Jackshat bearing.

MrSled said:
jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

Jackshat bearing.

Was anything else damaged in your case as a result of the lockup? When you say jackshaft bearing I'm assuming the bearing in the case let go not the one behind the secondary?

I'd be inclined to replace the bearing on both ends and I would go out and find a big dollar SKS version just to avoid this issue again. I put a better bearings in mine when I replaced the jackshaft in my procross

jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

Jackshat bearing.

Was anything else damaged in your case as a result of the lockup? When you say jackshaft bearing I'm assuming the bearing in the case let go not the one behind the secondary?

I'd be inclined to replace the bearing on both ends and I would go out and find a big dollar SKS version just to avoid this issue again. I put a better bearings in mine when I replaced the jackshaft in my procross

It's all trashed. It up to the dealer to do the repairs. I'm letting them do the right thing. Once warranty is over if I still have the unit and I have a problem. I will take care of it on my own. Bottom line is if it falls into neutral then take a closer look at the top bearing in the chain case. I have plenty of great sleds to drive so they need to make the repairs. That's how a warranty works.

Sorry to hear this bad news. I sure hope Yamaha's phone is ringing off the hook and they get everyone fixed up. It seems theres a new problem everytime I get on here.

MrSled said:
jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
jtssrx said:
MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

Jackshat bearing.

It's all trashed. It up to the dealer to do the repairs. I'm letting them do the right thing. Once warranty is over if I still have the unit and I have a problem. I will take care of it on my own. Bottom line is if it falls into neutral then take a closer look at the top bearing in the chain case. I have plenty of great sleds to drive so they need to make the repairs. That's how a warranty works.

Good thing you've got one.

Tom

From past experience in the ProCross arena if you have time over the summer it would be a good idea to pull the case, jackshaft and drive shaft out and check the bearings. The ones used on the cat end are very cheap chineese bearings and did not last very long vs a good quality NTN or SKF. Its worth the piece of mind for you if you take the time. I do not know what Yamaha is using they could have gone with an upgrade I have never had one apart to check.

TurboJamie said:
Tom

From past experience in the ProCross arena if you have time over the summer it would be a good idea to pull the case, jackshaft and drive shaft out and check the bearings. The ones used on the cat end are very cheap chineese bearings and did not last very long vs a good quality NTN or SKF. Its worth the piece of mind for you if you take the time. I do not know what Yamaha is using they could have gone with an upgrade I have never had one apart to check.

This is what I was trying to say. Even if the dealer is doing the warranty work I'd still provide a better bearing to the dealer to install

jtssrx said:
TurboJamie said:
Tom

This is what I was trying to say. Even if the dealer is doing the warranty work I'd still provide a better bearing to the dealer to install

I understand.... if you would like to drive over to Port Washington and baby sit the process your more then welcome too... I dont have the time and all I can do right now is let them do their jobs...

Man reading this post makes me glad I bought the YES for 5 year warrenty on my new 15 viper.

Tom hope you are up and running again soon.

Glad you have back up sleds so no more weekends are lost.

ANy hope our 2015's will be 'fixed'?

Yamadoo

yamadoo said:
Man reading this post makes me glad I bought the YES for 5 year warrenty on my new 15 viper.

Yamadoo

I am not sure why this happened... maybe the chain tension is an issue. I know many people turboed and stock that have way more miles then I do with no problems... not sure what to say other then lets hope no one has an issue and it was a just a few bad bearings in the mix.

MrSled said:
yamadoo said:

Yamadoo

I am not sure why this happened... maybe the chain tension is an issue. I know many people turboed and stock that have way more miles then I do with no problems... not sure what to say other then lets hope no one has an issue and it was a just a few bad bearings in the mix.

It's weird how I'm not having any chain case or reverse problems, but your not having any of the problems I have had, besides the belt. Kind of inconsistent with the variety of issues!

I hope that no one gets hurt with any of the issues!

skip the chain once or pop out of reverse to potentially chip a gear...and that chip to find its way into that bearing to cause havoc!

another theory is it's a long way up to that top bearing...if the lube fill isnt high enough I wonder if the lube doesnt hit that top bearing?

The top drive gear spins on the jackshaft when in reverse. There is no bearing and it wears the gear and jackshaft fast. You must use never-seize when you install the gear on the jackshaft to make it last. Sad thing is you have to do this every once in a while or the lube wears off. Stupid design

at the top of the chain case on the back side is there not a little elbow fitting with an oil hose on it to drip oil into the top bearing?

Back