• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper LTX SE or XF 7000?

Murse

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Apex Std Red
Why would someone buy a Viper for 250$ more? Are Yamaha clutches worth that? Artic claims to have better clutching and the reviews ( on Snowtrax and Snowmobile.com anyway ) Say that the artic cat has more aggressive clutching. The colors are cool too, I am just curious and wanted to ask the question. Are the XF's having same little issues as the Vipers? Quick search on Artic chat doesn't reveal too much that I can see.

I am bracing for impact on this one....

The Viper won the Oldforge shootout for stock class ,definitely the better sled. I love mine. Yamaha clutches make belts last forever. Efficiency is free horsepower ;)!

Definitely agree on the Yammy clutches, also the Yammy has the manual chaincase adjuster not the automatic one that was problematic with cat... Not sure if cat changed over to a manual one or not.

Same little quirks as ours and they have unproven clutches that I believe are wore out around 3500mi. Oh and the Yamahas are faster out of the box and have a Warranty with no deductible.

Buy the AC clutch kit to equal Viper and costs are equal. And still replacing belts more frequently with AC clutches.

Check out my YouTube video of my viper against a xf7000. That should be reason enough right there to choose the viper. That and better clutching and cheaper belts and more stylish design. Yes they are the same sled but the viper has a lot more detail than the cat

Studroes144 said:
Check out my YouTube video of my viper against a xf7000. That should be reason enough right there to choose the viper. That and better clutching and cheaper belts and more stylish design. Yes they are the same sled but the viper has a lot more detail than the cat

And those races were before your clutch kit and studs.

Just type in Barry Roes in the search bar on YouTube. And yes both sled are 100% stock. No clutching done on either and no studs on either. Did some temp tests after 6 runs and the belt and secondary on the cat was 20 degrees hotter than the viper and the primary was a few degrees hotter on the cat as well. After letting sit for a few minutes the viper belt and clutches cooled down a lot and the cat clutches and belt only dropped a few degrees. I hope for the cat guys that they don't have belt issues because both the viper and 7000 are awesome sleds but I'm thinking now that people are getting some decent miles on them that the belt issues are going to start showing up

I see that on the Yamaha Canada site the shocks are hpg shocks in the rear and the 7000 has Floats in the rear. If this is correct that is much better for me as I hear a lot of negatives about the rear mega float.

On the premium models I thought I read the Yamaha has Fox Float 2's and the Cat has FF 3's. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe someone can clarify that.

Back