• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stainless y pipe questions

ualav8

Expert
i have an 06 attak that sounding to the reports from home may need the exhaust donuts replaced. question is, does my sled have the titanium or stainless pipes as stock? i understand that stainless is the way to go but who sells them at the best price? i know the titanium cant be repaired but what about the stainless? thanks

Unless they have been changed, they are Ti.

Port Yamaha would be the best place to check for stainless headers.

Click... #13 & #14 http://www.portyamaha.com/fiche_section ... &fveh=6869

Yes, stainless steel can be welded. But, you should never crack the stainless ones. They are thicker & if you replace the gaskets every 2,500-3,000 miles before they are shot, never an issue.

stainless

When my 06 had cracked pipes, There were no stainless pipes available. I got a set of stainless RX1 take offs. Took them to Midas, to have about an inch added to the length. It's been over 2 seasons, and no problems.

ualav8 said:
i understand that stainless is the way to go but who sells them at the best price? i know the titanium cant be repaired but what about the stainless? thanks

Cheapest price I found is www.cyclepartswarehouse.com and they are priced at $139.55/each.

Much like titanium, welding stainless steel can also be tricky. But a good welder can do it.

pipes

I got mine at the dealer for 170.00 for both.

Wildwood. Stainless $96 for one side and $98 for the other. Even had them in stock which was a surprise. Let us know if the price went up, have a feeling it did.

my old boss said he would give them to me for cost,$75each. i went in two weeks later (yesterday) and they now want 170 each. WTF. im sooo pist at yamaha for this crap. a $13000 sled and everytime i turn around something expensive is broke that they have updated due to all to many common failures. but no kickback or discounts to previous owners on parts.

Just phoned the dealer that I paid $100 per from last spring and he now wants $137 each. Canada as well and we always get screwed. $170 sounds like someone made a mistake. The Titanium ones were $400 I think so maybe they figure they can charge the extra and make some money. Like they don't make enough already.

copo427ss said:
my old boss said he would give them to me for cost. i went in two weeks later (yesterday) and they now want 170 each. WTF. im sooo pist at yamaha for this crap. a $13000 sled and everytime i turn around something expensive is broke that they have updated due to all to many common failures. but no kickback or discounts to previous owners on parts.

Port Yamaha has them for $178 so not sure how $170 would be cost. Show them the port price and if they don't help you shop some where else.

165 from the dealer here, cost. yamaha told me that they would have good willed them to me last year, but not now. ugh.

ok heres the scoop in the price increase. i have been on the phone with yamaha corporate and the dealer i used to work at most of the morning.
the part # starting with 8FP was superseeded to part # 8FR. both were stainless steel pipes. but yamaha was still having failures with the stainless 8fp number, soo, they added a shield to the pipes to keep the snow from hitting them. in thinking that the extreme temp changes is putting stress on the flanges causing them to crack. which is why the old ss pipes were in fact $75 cost and the new ones are now $165. now my old boss and i were brainstorming and came up with the fact that most of y-pipes we see fail were the clutch side ones. even on my sled with the original ti pipes, my right side looks good, but my left side is hammered at the flanges. we think that it is caused by the constant pull from the clutches working that are stressing the clamp joints to their limit on the left side. how many of you all that have had exhaust failures had the left side go bad but the right side be ok or somewhat ok?

copo427ss said:
the part # starting with 8FP was superseeded to part # 8FR. both were stainless steel pipes. but yamaha was still having failures with the stainless 8fp number, soo, they added a shield to the pipes to keep the snow from hitting them. in thinking that the extreme temp changes is putting stress on the flanges causing them to crack. which is why the old ss pipes were in fact $75 cost and the new ones are now $165. ?

Good point about the left side. I thought the pipes breaking/cracking was due to a combination of the chassis flexing and/or engine movement (twisting under high torque, etc..)??

Maybe your dealer should buy from theses guys then?? lol. I would highly doubt they are selling it to the public under dealer cost, so something must be wrong with your #'s. As you can see, they are the updated "8FR" versions.

13 EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 1
8FR-14610-00-00 (replaces 8FP-14610-00-00) 1 $212.24 $139.55
14 EXHAUST PIPE ASSY 2
8FR-14620-00-00 (replaces 8FP-14620-00-00) 1 $212.24 $139.55

Back