• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter bolts

Thornton3280

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
07 yamaha phazer base
Easiest way to tighten the starter bolts. Phazer cranks over pretty slow threw a new battery with 310cc amps still slow. Wondering how to go about checking and tightening the starter bolts. Prefer not to pull the front end apart if possible.

You'll have to pull the starter to realign it and tighten the bolts. This thread does explain how to tighten them:

However, you do not need to remove the whole front end. Through the bottom, with the cover off, you will see a an aluminum bracket that prevents the starter from coming out. You can cut it off, it serves no purpose. It can then be taken out, easy peasy lemon squeazy. I've done it on 3 sleds, no problems.

So do i just take the skid plate off as if I was draining the oil? Then grind that aluminum ear 1/8 of an inch or can I go more? An unbolt starter and pull it out or do I have to loosen the subframe?

Yep, remove skid plate, cut the whole thing off with a Sawzall, unbolt starter and out it comes. Still have to move it around but it will come out. You'll see the bracket that I'm talking about. It mounts to nothing.

Thanks Mooseman! By chance do you know the torque spec for the 2 bolts

Last edited:
Sorry, no. I just went with snug. Just don't go overboard since they are small.

Back