• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter Questions!

Deeppow16

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Arctic Cat M8000
2009 Yamaha Nytro MTX (Totaled)
2002 Polaris 600 XCSP (Sold)
1999 Ski-doo Formula 500 (Totaled)
Well last week my starter crapped out because my relay crapped out, starter is froze and the new relay just clicks. So now I'm doing this fun job of removing it. I don't have any questions about getting the starter out. My question is when I look on online at new starters I see some that are $100 and some that are $350 but all say I can use them in my nytro. What have people used for starters? Aftermarket or OEM? Thanks in advance.

So go with OEM is what your saying?

If the starter looks in good shape may just need to replace brushes Ref# 2 In diagram below. ($36)
StarterBrushes.PNG

I added a little twist to those instructions that allowed me to do the job alone and not use pry bars potentially doing more damage. If you have a snowmobile lift you can follow his instructions to the point where you pry the engine up to let the starter fall out, from there raise the sled up as high as possible on the lift, you need an eye bolt in your ceiling and 2 ratchet straps, hook them to the eye bolt and the castings holes on the motor, lower the lift slowly and the starter will drop right out, install the new one and raise the lift until the mount holes line back up.
Might be doing this again as my starter is acting up.

I added a little twist to those instructions that allowed me to do the job alone and not use pry bars potentially doing more damage. If you have a snowmobile lift you can follow his instructions to the point where you pry the engine up to let the starter fall out, from there raise the sled up as high as possible on the lift, you need an eye bolt in your ceiling and 2 ratchet straps, hook them to the eye bolt and the castings holes on the motor, lower the lift slowly and the starter will drop right out, install the new one and raise the lift until the mount holes line back up.
Might be doing this again as my starter is acting up.
I like this idea. Might have to try it before I try prying on it.

Thoughts on this Kimpex starter? Its have the price of a Yamaha starter.
Capture.PNG

Looks like I found the problem. A huge piece of the magnet broke off and the magnet actually spun about 3/4" around in the housing. I wonder how that happened!

Thoughts on this Kimpex starter? Its have the price of a Yamaha starter.View attachment 135758
I used a DB Electrical, I would go with this Kimpex or maybe a Rick's motorsports one now...with that said the DB is still ticking. I thought I was going to need to change it again but turned out my battery was weak. 3 years about 2000 miles with the DB.

I've installed DB Electrical starters also and as far as I know they are all still out there working. Make sure you replace the starter relay when doing a starter replacement.

Back