• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

STM super tips/TD powertrail/superquiet

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
Is anyone running this combination? I'm not sure how much weight to add and I can't test because of the melt, I'm heading north next week and would like to at least be close on the clutching. Thanks

Is anyone running this combination? I'm not sure how much weight to add and I can't test because of the melt, I'm heading north next week and would like to at least be close on the clutching. Thanks

I am sure lots of guys are running your setup and will chime in to help.

Last edited:
What base weight STs are you running?

Stock primary spring?

Stock secondary helix and spring? Wrap?

With Daltons and HH's I was anywhere from 76g max, down to 67g min, and rpms were from 8800 to 9200 or so.

Just bring all your weights with you on trip, and shoot for 70g total to start. The nice thing about these tunes is the limiter is set high so you have quite a large window where it will run fine, then as you ride you can dial it in. 8dn vs 8jp changes the rpms too. 8Jp alot softer,less rpms.

Dan

Stock primary spring?

With Daltons and HH's I was anywhere from 76g max, down to 67g min, and rpms were from 8800 to 9200 or so.

Just bring all your weights with you on trip, and shoot for 70g total to start. The nice thing about these tunes is the limiter is set high so you have quite a large window where it will run fine, then as you ride you can dial it in. 8dn vs 8jp changes the rpms too. 8Jp alot softer,less rpms.

Dan
I'm running 62g base weights with Ulmer pink spring. Stock hp I had 73g. Running 35/39 at 60 wrap with stock spring. Allen told me to add 2 grams to tip so I'm going to start there. I'll bring the tuning washers with me, just hoping to be close so I don't have to tear into it in the snow bank lol.

I'm running 62g base weights with Ulmer pink spring. Stock hp I had 73g. Running 35/39 at 60 wrap with stock spring. Allen told me to add 2 grams to tip so I'm going to start there. I'll bring the tuning washers with me, just hoping to be close so I don't have to tear into it in the snow bank lol.
you said allens pink spring,right. I just got his stage 2 kit in for my evo flash stage 4 at 260 hp plus CAI kit,and his primary is black with pink dot on just one wire,i wonder if they are the same spec?

Weird I just emailed him about stage 2 on his clutch kit and he said wasn't available yet.

Weird I just emailed him about stage 2 on his clutch kit and he said wasn't available yet.
I did the same and spoke with him yesterday and he said stage 2 was still in testing and not available yet.

you said allens pink spring,right. I just got his stage 2 kit in for my evo flash stage 4 at 260 hp plus CAI kit,and his primary is black with pink dot on just one wire,i wonder if they are the same spec?[/QUOTE
Mine is pink, just on one coil, I'm guessing it's the same spring across the board.

Yes,in his ST instructions he calls it a pink spring,so that is what I have its 3.550 thous in free length and .220 dia wire.

Stock primary spring?

Dan
Hi Dan,before I put locktight in my STM weights to hold in set screws,can you answer a question? I have Ulmers stage 2 clutch kit for his stage 4 EVO 170 hp kit with CAI and sandales 3" Magnaflow muffler. The instructions with the clutch kit for the 14.7 lb boost reflash to add 2 washers in heel and a tungsten insert & tungsten to tip mid empty,w/pink primary spring and rpms should be between 9150-9400,so when I add those grams to the STM 60 grm base weights I come up at 80.9-81 grms on digital scales,does this seem heavy for this HP or was I only suppose to add one tungsten in tip? It sounds to me like one on each side,which is what I did,but just wanted to hear from others who may have this set up. before I lock them down.

Allen told me to run 2 washers in heel, middle empty, 1 tungsten and 4 washers in tip, I have TD powertrail and superquiet exhaust. I'm pretty sure I'll have to add weight as I'm only 2 grams over what I was running stock.

Hi Dan,before I put locktight in my STM weights to hold in set screws,can you answer a question? I have Ulmers stage 2 clutch kit for his stage 4 EVO 170 hp kit with CAI and sandales 3" Magnaflow muffler. The instructions with the clutch kit for the 14.7 lb boost reflash to add 2 washers in heel and a tungsten insert & tungsten to tip mid empty,w/pink primary spring and rpms should be between 9150-9400,so when I add those grams to the STM 60 grm base weights I come up at 80.9-81 grms on digital scales,does this seem heavy for this HP or was I only suppose to add one tungsten in tip? It sounds to me like one on each side,which is what I did,but just wanted to hear from others who may have this set up. before I lock them down.
What is that pink spring rate? 81g sure seems high, but he might be using a higher rate spring. Also the CAI might makse more rpm but we have not got ours installed here yet.

I think the STs are a slightly lesser aggressive curve then the HHs I have in now, so they very well may need more weight. I would go with whatever Allen says. I do know the evo stg 4 revs higher then Bens PT tune, so i would have guess less weight then 81 but you're gonna need to test.

Dan

Allen told me to run 2 washers in heel, middle empty, 1 tungsten and 4 washers in tip, I have TD powertrail and superquiet exhaust. I'm pretty sure I'll have to add weight as I'm only 2 grams over what I was running stock.
Interested on feedback of Allens kits, I think he may be the only one to have a helix/secondary spring in his kit at this time. And I like that he uses STs, nice weights.

Dan

Interested on feedback of Allens kits, I think he may be the only one to have a helix/secondary spring in his kit at this time. And I like that he uses STs, nice weights.

Dan
I spoke with Allen yesterday and he hasn't released a secondary spring and helix yet. He said he was waiting for some more snow to do more testing.

I think if you bought his complete kit,like I did,EVO stage 4,Cold air kit,STM rollers,and more aggressive muffler like the sandale 3",you need the stage 2 kit,which includes,38 helix,and red/black secondary spring,tangs aling with each other,pink primary spring,and STM weights. You get the works,he has had quite a time trying to test,sense most of the northern teer states have lost a lot of snow and ice,and its now happening to us here in Maine.

Back