• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

stock viper exhaust getting louder

WAYNE KOBLER

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper ltx se
Have 2 2015 vipers,his and hers,both machines over 10,000 miles.1 machine had to replace muffler 2 years ago,due to cracks and exhaust leaking near muffler mount brackets.Replaced with a stock take off muffler.everything good again,now sled is getting louder again,so took off muffler and deshielded,no cracks,no leaks,nothing loose inside it.Are these machines having issues with other parts of the exhaust systems,any way to verify I do not have other issues without totally dismanteling machine in the midst of a banner winter?Suggestions?

Some had headers that would crack. You may be able to hear/feel it with the rear of the sled suspended up and checking above the track . Otherwise the other way to check is to pull the seat and heat shield to inspect it.
If yours is cracked, I have a stock header that you can have for free if you pay the shipping! I'm never going to use it and one of these days I'll probably just scrap it when I'm in a "clean out the shop mood";-)

Bill

Some had headers that would crack. You may be able to hear/feel it with the rear of the sled suspended up and checking above the track . Otherwise the other way to check is to pull the seat and heat shield to inspect it.
If yours is cracked, I have a stock header that you can have for free if you pay the shipping! I'm never going to use it and one of these days I'll probably just scrap it when I'm in a "clean out the shop mood";-)

Bill
Thank you,will look closer tonite,just trying to avoid catastrospe.Been along way on this machine and got a pretty good feel when somethings amiss,think I need to pull fuel tank to remove shield?

With it idling, you may be able to hear or feel the exhaust leak under the tunnel and above the track. If it does sound louder in the tunnel, then the next step is to pull the seat and shield for inspection.

Well my viper is a 2015 and the header was built from the factory with the additional gusset/plate and it is not cracked anywhere so good news for the high mileage viper family,still not sure why it seems louder at times.

Wayne,

My 2015 seems to resonate and get loud occasionally, and when I notice it I think to myself "is my muffler coming apart?" but then the tone changes.
I'm pretty sure now it's the trail surface conditions, notice it when it's going over harder packed it seems to reverberate back up off the ground and appear loud, then when I get onto looser surface it sounds normal again.

My AFR gauge was not reading correctly before heading out on a bagger trip to Canada, I thought it was the sensor. Last day of the trip my exhaust was extremely loud. AFR gauge was reading way to lean and the turbo would hardly gain any boost.
I limped back almost 200 miles without ever going above 4500 rpm. You might not have anything going on but make sure you pull the header and inspect it carefully. Better yet if your pulling the header out to inspect why not re-install a new SLP header. Just a thought. Enjoy the ride!

Attachments

• exhaust leak.jpg
    exhaust leak.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 94

Back