• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SW/ZR vs polaris 850

Timmyz, we were raised on Tug Hill, from the 70's, and learned to ride garbage on junk ski doo prs suspensions, and later on, watched as cockroach looking yammies cruised over what we struggled with. Almost need to carry a welder, but there was always a shop in Boonville with one. Engines were great though. Here's my point...the pro cross chassis (with the 4 stroke up front) does really well on garbage, not as responsive as two strokes, but very stable and predictable. As in all riding, when you get to the stretches of trail that tend to not care what sled you are on, you'll want the sidewinder turbo. A little less garbage pounding smiles, but HUGE ones that more than make up for it. When a poo or doo balsa wood sled gets literally blown off on a nice stretch, myself, Id be wishing I was on the sidewinder. JMO.

all great infos!!! Im still deciding, im really torn!! Maybe if i had rode one, i wouldnt wonder no more!! One think sure, it wont be stock when hitting the snow if i get one! Its either a 2018 SW 50th LE or a 2018 Zr9000 RR, love both!!

So I have some perspective I have a stx dx 146 sw 270 hurricane, polaris850 xcr switchback 137 , xcr 800 stage ix 121" ride on wy trails and powder . The Polaris have 1.75 backcountry tracks the sw is 1.25 all have as many ice screws as I can fit. The short track is an absolute blast , the lightest, fast, the 850 is the best handling , the sw is comfy warm smooth omg fast and if the Polaris might go through a tight corner a few mph faster right after that the sw is simply gone , you can do things with this much power . So if there are those who might say your a dumb #*$&@ for getting one or the other there is only one solution get both!

as much as i love going fast on a straight line, its only a small portion of my riding!! The thrill of snapping the throttle, loosing the rear and hammer the moguls keeps my blood pumping!! You know simply having fun riding the sh!t outta it!

all great infos!!! Im still deciding, im really torn!! Maybe if i had rode one, i wouldnt wonder no more!! One think sure, it wont be stock when hitting the snow if i get one! Its either a 2018 SW 50th LE or a 2018 Zr9000 RR, love both!!

Definitely go with the 129 track lenth, and replace the front track spring with something stiffer and youll love the sled. Mine wheelies at will, and is a much better trail machine than an assault 800.

Definitely go with the 129 track lenth, and replace the front track spring with something stiffer and youll love the sled. Mine wheelies at will, and is a much better trail machine than an assault 800.
The assault is very hard to beat as trail machine though, axys front end ans seating position makes a world difference! But it also have more ski lift . that sled with the 998 oufff would be insane!!!

Hopefully they fixed that motor cuz it was the one of the worst let downs in engine history & they couldn't beat their own 800's across a field.

BUT, they basically redesigned the whole block to get that bearing oiled & then completely re-mapped the whole curve so MAYBE they got it right

Hopefully they fixed that motor cuz it was the one of the worst let downs in engine history & they couldn't beat their own 800's across a field.

BUT, they basically redesigned the whole block to get that bearing oiled & then completely re-mapped the whole curve so MAYBE they got it right
Joe bikeman dynoed the 850 2020, it looks very interesting!! 176hp MUCH better mapping than the 2019!!

The problem with the first year motor was their own hype.
They claimed it to be the MOST dependable, LONGEST lasting, most powerful 2-stroke ever made with "diesel" technology.
It was THE most snappiest of them all, but topped out slower then the 800 AND that's if it made it past break in.
They had to redesign the whole block.
I'm sure the new one is gonna be NASTY.

I'm not bashing them cuz they bashed themselves. Nor am i trying to persuade you from the new 850.
I firmly believe this is THE sled for you. Personally, i would give it one more year.

The SideWinder is NOT for you.................until you get older & realize standing up hurts your back & knees & slows you down in corners anyways. LOL

LOL, i assume someday ill get too old for that sh!t!! Ill might jsut get both at some point!!

I myself are in the same boat. I am between an 850 and a SW. I like to ride off trail but find myself a 75 on/25 off trail. I am at the base of tug hill in NY so trail trash is always popular on the weekends. We seem to have a mix of everything from long straights to twisty trails to logging roads to mogul filled trails. Everything exists here. I personally am leaning on the 850 (whether it is an assault or XCR is a completely different issue) but the one thing that has me considering the SW is hurricanes flash so I can switch between 240, 275, or 300 ponies!!!
I've demo'd a stock winder and even with a 137 1.75 the pull was down right ungodly, even past 90 mph! I cannot imagine 300 horse, my life insurance policy is going to have to be increased.
I currently have a procross 800 with hygear everything. The chassis does take a beating and I have it set up to make quick work of 3 footers. It has 170 horse now, I really can't imagine doubling that! I am a bit shorter 5'8'' and with a shorter bar riser I love the seating position. The axys chassis's I have ridden are perfect and the axys seems to do what you want it to do, when you want it to happen.
The weight of the yamaha has me a bit nervous as for trail cruising I never noticed it, however once I'd dip off trail or blitz some whoops the weight became very apparent. Not that it wasn't manageable but my previous yamahas did not like the mogul bashing without some serious coin invested into suspension, but I know dam well that was never their intended purpose.

Long story short, keep us posted because I will be following to see which route you go.

WOW!!! Exactly like me!! Its seems for the next 2 years of messing around and jump cliff, cat walking and to try climb every goddam hill i see, i need to stick with Axys chassis! But when it comes to suspension go get a RR!! Or a 50th LE!

Unless I can find a HELL of a deal on a 146 winder next year. The 850 will be in my trailer.

I myself are in the same boat. I am between an 850 and a SW. I like to ride off trail but find myself a 75 on/25 off trail. I am at the base of tug hill in NY so trail trash is always popular on the weekends. We seem to have a mix of everything from long straights to twisty trails to logging roads to mogul filled trails. Everything exists here. I personally am leaning on the 850 (whether it is an assault or XCR is a completely different issue) but the one thing that has me considering the SW is hurricanes flash so I can switch between 240, 275, or 300 ponies!!!
I've demo'd a stock winder and even with a 137 1.75 the pull was down right ungodly, even past 90 mph! I cannot imagine 300 horse, my life insurance policy is going to have to be increased.
I currently have a procross 800 with hygear everything. The chassis does take a beating and I have it set up to make quick work of 3 footers. It has 170 horse now, I really can't imagine doubling that! I am a bit shorter 5'8'' and with a shorter bar riser I love the seating position. The axys chassis's I have ridden are perfect and the axys seems to do what you want it to do, when you want it to happen.
The weight of the yamaha has me a bit nervous as for trail cruising I never noticed it, however once I'd dip off trail or blitz some whoops the weight became very apparent. Not that it wasn't manageable but my previous yamahas did not like the mogul bashing without some serious coin invested into suspension, but I know dam well that was never their intended purpose.

Long story short, keep us posted because I will be following to see which route you go.
Have to admit, the grooming is tons better on the hill than years past. But when no snow elsewhere, it's downright hilarious the traffic and how fast the trails disintegrate. Penn mountain towards florence and Williamstown south of the hill are usually are nice, except for near the hill....with big open spaces for a sidewinder to catch whatever may be ahead somewhere ...I smell a two smoker...lol..

Back