• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Swapping Out Rear Wheels

steiner

Staff member
Added some billet wheels on my 07 Attak. Years ago read on here that using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe makes this process easier.
I tried it and it works great. The copper pipe slides nicely over the threads and full contact with the shoulder of the bolt. Used a deadblow hammer for the tapping on the pipe to push it thru the wheels and spacers. Installed the outer wheel and slid everything back thru. Needed a little help with a pry bar as the copper piper is not as thick as the bolt which allows the bolt to get hung up here and there.
20220103_140207.jpg
20220103_135853.jpg
20220103_135112.jpg
20220103_135740.jpg

Even with the Yamaha rear axle tool I have, when threading the tool onto the axle, the shoulder is not as flush with the axle and I too sometimes have to wiggle the real axle tool to get it to slide past the other side of the rail as that is where mine usually catches. I'm actually surprised Yamaha quit making this tool but it's probably because not many knew about them. If it wasn't for Kevin at Port Yamaha mentioning this tool when he knew I would be doing suspension work years back, I would have never known it existed. Now, I use it all the time when removing the suspension as I find it much easier to slide the suspension out of the track with both outside rear idler wheels off.

RearAxleTool.JPG

i have one of those. been looking for another.

I kind of like what steiner did with using 1/2" cooper pipe tubing where the tube slides over the threads rather than our tool threading onto the threads of the rear axle. I always end up using a rubber mallet instead out of fears of jacking up the threads and this would eliminate that concern. Sorry maim, that doesn't mean I'll be selling my rear axle tool but like you, would be nice to have another and will most likely go this route.

Back