• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The New Secondary Brain Child Is Done And Is Easy To Do

UP bushman said:
....First the inside of the secondary spline which is 2 1/2" long needs 1 1/4" machined out from backside of clutch towards frame. Then use the stock Phazer washer against the shaft bearing and slide new secondary on. The clutch offset is .600 clearance as spec out of manual shows .590-.670. Next ordered a collar from Apex and cut down to .770 in length no boring required. Use existing outside washer from Phazer with new 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt and torqued down and done. The outside secondary clearance is .004 the spec is .004-.008 on secondary sheave play.........
Some questions:
What is involved in machining of the spline. Does that mean 1.25" is cut-off the spline? Where does the collar go? Is the bolt the same as the one in use on the original secondary? And the helixes, are they the same style as used in the old secondary? What angle helix was in the original?

Sorry about so many questions; thanks

BombaPolaYama said:
UP bushman said:
....First the inside of the secondary spline which is 2 1/2" long needs 1 1/4" machined out from backside of clutch towards frame. Then use the stock Phazer washer against the shaft bearing and slide new secondary on. The clutch offset is .600 clearance as spec out of manual shows .590-.670. Next ordered a collar from Apex and cut down to .770 in length no boring required. Use existing outside washer from Phazer with new 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt and torqued down and done. The outside secondary clearance is .004 the spec is .004-.008 on secondary sheave play.........
Some questions:
What is involved in machining of the spline. Does that mean 1.25" is cut-off the spline? Where does the collar go? Is the bolt the same as the one in use on the original secondary? And the helixes, are they the same style as used in the old secondary? What angle helix was in the original?

Sorry about so many questions; thanks

The 1.25" is taken of the spline down to smooth bore part of secondary that slides over drive shaft. The collar goes on the outside with the washer and the new 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt. The helix is not the same as the stock Phazer secondary but you can find a YVX secondary with a 43 degree helix. The helix angle in the YVX secondary can be 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 51 degree or higher if after market. You can PM if you want to talk about on the phone.

UP BUSHMAN if you use a YVX secondary from a 1996-1999 Phazer2 480 tss front end or a 1995-1996 v-max with tss front end you don"t have do do any maching they bolt right on. You still need the longer bolt and change the bushing to the right lenth. :4STroke: ;)!

Will a VMax 600 secondary be the same as the 500? I checked the parts listing on Port Y and the 1st 3 letters in the part #'s are different for the 600 8BV and 8CM for the 500; but the rest of the numbers are the same.
What I need to know is, will the secondary from the 600 fit the Phazer with the same bushing as used with the 500?
And does any one have the part # for the Apex bushing that is req'd and what model is it for and where would I get the longer bolt?
thanks,

jake151 said:
UP BUSHMAN if you use a YVX secondary from a 1996-1999 Phazer2 480 tss front end or a 1995-1996 v-max with tss front end you don"t have do do any maching they bolt right on. You still need the longer bolt and change the bushing to the right lenth. :4STroke: ;)!

It's a bit easier if you can find they above listed YVX secondaries. But you still need the bolt and bushing anyway. But if I'm looking to replace the secondary you can search and buy the one with the helix you want since the helixes are $100.00. Machining a spline is no big deal and way less than a $100.00 helix.

BombaPolaYama said:
Will a VMax 600 secondary be the same as the 500? I checked the parts listing on Port Y and the 1st 3 letters in the part #'s are different for the 600 8BV and 8CM for the 500; but the rest of the number is the same.
What I need to know is, will the secondary from the 600 fit the Phazer with the same bushing as used with the 500?
And does any one have the part # for the Apex bushing that is req'd and what model is it for and where would I get the longer bolt?
thanks,

Hey BombaPolaYama I got the 14mm x 1.50 pitch x 40mm bolt from a Fastenal or Industrial supply. The collar I used was out of a 2010 Apex part #90387-1407L-00 cut down to .770 in.

UP bushman said:
jake151 said:

It's a bit easier if you can find they above listed YVX secondaries. But you still need the bolt and bushing anyway. But if I'm looking to replace the secondary you can search and buy the one with the helix you want since the helixes are $100.00. Machining a spline is no big deal and way less than a $100.00 helix.
Just for clarification; will either of the YVX secondaries take the same type helixes regardless of whether they have to be machined or not?
Any thoughts on whether or not the secondary from a Vmax 600 will fit?
I can get one from a 1996 VMax 600 at a good price.
Stupid question time: How would you determine the angle of an helix?

There are charts to find the angle by the number on the Helix.I am sorry cant find any specs on Vmax 600 vs 500.Maybe try the 2stroke side.

The 1996 v-max 500 is a 41 deg helix and the 1996 v-max is a 39 deg helix. The 41 deg helix has a number 8BV-10 marked on the helix. The 39 deg helix has a number 8BV-90 marked on the helix. All these yvx sedondary helixs are inter changable, I hope this helps answer your questions. :yam: :4STroke: ;)!

jake151 said:
The 1996 v-max 500 is a 41 deg helix and the 1996 v-max is a 39 deg helix. The 41 deg helix has a number 8BV-10 marked on the helix. The 39 deg helix has a number 8BV-90 marked on the helix. All these yvx sedondary helixs are inter changable, I hope this helps answer your questions. :yam: :4STroke: ;)!
Thanks, my biggest concern though is whether or not the secondary from a Vmax 600 will fit the Phazer the same as the one from the Vmax 500?

I don't see why there would be a difference between the 500 and 600 of the same year besides the spring/helix. The clutch body itself should be the same as I can't see Yamaha using 2 different body clutches/cross shafts on the same twin cylinder chassis. I suppose I could sneak over to my uncles Garage and grab his secondary clutch off his 95' 600 and how it fits on my MTX.

The clutches are the same except for the guts.You can use all 500 twins from 95 up,600 twins and tripples even the 700 tripples..

pro116 said:
The clutches are the same except for the guts.You can use all 500 twins from 95 up,600 twins and tripples even the 700 tripples..

Looking at 95-96 vmax and 96-98 Pogo Phazer Clutches there is a difference compared to the 97+ clutches. The Pogo chassis clutches have the splines all the way out to the end the later 97+ ones the splines don't. The Pogo ones were designed to replace the "Phazer" style one without needing to change cross shafts in those style sleds. The 97'+ were installed in a "clean sheet" design so the spline placement is different inside the clutch. The later ones need some machining to work as Upbushman has shown. Some of the used 95-96 style ones I've seen on Ebay come with the Bolt and sleeve and I wondering if they wouldn't be a direct bolt on if someone reused the 95-96 bolt and sleeve.

No pogo clutches are diffrent the are not the yvx clutches.they started using them on the proaction chasis phazers.They used the boldt and the sleeve even on the eayly 4strokes

Back