• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Shocking Truth About Stock Nytro's In the Steep And Deep

Well my nytro is parked right now just picked up my M8 on my lunch nytro is now for sale real damn cheap engines not even broke in yet thats just how much i hated riding the damn thing.

The Nytro is a good mtn sled but not a great one. Over weight 600! I love the nytro's but I'm not blind to the fact that it's not a great mtn sled but just a good one. However, I believe no other sled will out last the yam 4 stroke before needing the engine rebuilt or other major work done, even boosted sleds. That's why I bought mine. Only boosted M8's can keep up with mine, of course it come with a price.

well iI just have to chime in on this thread.
I have been riding a 4 stroke yami for 6 years and trying to defend my choice of sled and promote 4 stroke tech.
One of my brothers just bought a nytro mtn with a 180hp turbo kit and it rocks! Awesome sled with 180 hp. Sucks when my 04 rx ton outdoes a 2010 nytro.
Hey YAMAHA MOTOR CO. What about the people that want a mnt sled that works as well as the rest without spending $3000 just to maybe keep up with the other manufacturers. Unless you are going to turbo your Yami you are going to be riding a lead brick. My brother #2 rides a doo and I have yet to see a stock Yamaha even come close. This hurts me to say because I like the Yamaha 4 stroke, but I think that if someone comes out with a 4 stroke that works straight out of the box people will dump their Yamis like a bad date.

Now dont get bent about my writings, I Know that many people feel the same way as I do by the posts that I have read here. I am just saying that it is time that a so called progressive company like YAMAHA wakes up and realises that there is a major difference between trail sleds and mnt sleds and that they are trailing way behind the competition.

This is very evident when even one of their own, RANDY SWENSON regional sales manager wont ride a stock machine. His is moded with a turbo (more power) but he uses an after market suspension from timbersled. If you what to promote your brand ride a stocker and keep up or out do the competion.

This is very evident when even one of their own, RANDY SWENSON regional sales manager wont ride a stock machine. His is moded with a turbo (more power) but he uses an after market suspension from timbersled. If you what to promote your brand ride a stocker and keep up or out do the competion

Alot of people would choise to ride mod sleds if they could afford to do so, me for one.
I dont think you could condem a guy for a turbo, he11 every 4-stroke rider wants one. now the timbersled rear skid?? if its a 08 or 09 I would understand but a 2010 he should be able to use the stock Yamy rear skid

nytro7c said:
yah 6 grand for a turbo for my nytro no thanks i could buy another sled for that.

It's hard to bite that price for a boost system. I don't find stock sleds fun to ride so I need the boost and I'm willing to pay the price. I could buy three sleds for the price of mods I have in my nytro. I know I could find better things to do with my money but I like snowmobiling.

Jabber.. I like what you had to say. Yam could do some much better for their mtn sleds.

do your research, buy a used one with boost, they are going for the same price as the new stock one...

dont do your research, you will have issues....regardless of the brand...

facts EVERYONE knows abotu Yamaha sleds:

> they are heavy

> they are underpowered
against higher powered sleds (seems obvious but most dont get it)

> Yamaha has made a choice, that reliability is more important
than weight...they are slowly removing weight...

> Yamaha has made a choice, that the Mountain segment is not the most important for them...they are letting the aftermarket facilitate their sleds bing competitive in the mountains...(that is why Randy is able to run "extra" stuff...

Those who dont understand the above, did not do their research...

I am out :)

Randy has been on boosted 4 strokes since at least 2003. Seeing his boosted (6 psi) RX1 in Revy in the spring of 03 convinced me to buy an RX1 even though I had ridden them and decided against them because of the weight. I boosted my RX1 in early 2004 and had 5 great seasons on it. The fun I had on it was worth way more than I spent. People that bitch about the cost of turbo systems have often not "lived the life". I rode that sled for over 10,000 kms boosted and sold it for good money to someone who continued to ride it. Cost per year was the same as owning an underpowered n/a sled.

Roest said:
Randy has been on boosted 4 strokes since at least 2003. Seeing his boosted (6 psi) RX1 in Revy in the spring of 03 convinced me to buy an RX1 even though I had ridden them and decided against them because of the weight. I boosted my RX1 in early 2004 and had 5 great seasons on it. The fun I had on it was worth way more than I spent. People that bitch about the cost of turbo systems have often not "lived the life". I rode that sled for over 10,000 kms boosted and sold it for good money to someone who continued to ride it. Cost per year was the same as owning an underpowered n/a sled.

I agree. That's why I bought Yam then boosted because IMO they last longer than 2 strokes boosted.

Has any one read the new issue of american snowmobiler?they have a test of cat,doo,polaris,an yamaha the first three sleds are all 153 154 156'' 2strokes against the 162 !!!!! 4 stroke yam.it sounds like the yam did verry well holding its own .The least hp an the longest track not sure why they did not usu the 153 mtx se instead of the 163.The yam had the 2nd fastest time in the cross hill style hill climb.

mtdream said:
do your research, buy a used one with boost, they are going for the same price as the new stock one...

dont do your research, you will have issues....regardless of the brand...

facts EVERYONE knows abotu Yamaha sleds:

> they are heavy

> they are underpowered
against higher powered sleds (seems obvious but most dont get it)

> Yamaha has made a choice, that reliability is more important
than weight...they are slowly removing weight...

> Yamaha has made a choice, that the Mountain segment is not the most important for them...they are letting the aftermarket facilitate their sleds bing competitive in the mountains...(that is why Randy is able to run "extra" stuff...

Those who dont understand the above, did not do their research...

I am out :)

well said x2 :dead:

Jabber said:
This is very evident when even one of their own, RANDY SWENSON regional sales manager wont ride a stock machine. His is moded with a turbo (more power) but he uses an after market suspension from timbersled. If you what to promote your brand ride a stocker and keep up or out do the competion.

For the kind of riding he does, there is not a stock sled from any of the manufacturers in the market place currently that would go where he goes. But more to my concern with post like this is, he is a valuable resource for information on mods that do make these sleds work better. Posts like this are easy to take out of context and could cause him some headaches or just p*ss him off and drive him underground and we all lose then. As far as I am concerned you should keep your speculation to you yourself and post useful information on what you do know.

It seems my post has created a lot of discussion and that's good.

I do however want to make one thing clear.

I am not whining about my purchase. I weighed all of the information I had at the time and I chose the Nytro, my bad.

As I said in my original post, (this is) "an expensive and impetuous lesson for me, but it doesn't have to be for you...."

For those posters that don't know what impetuous means, the definition is below.

impetuous [ɪmˈpɛtjʊəs]
adj
1. liable to act without consideration; rash; impulsive
2. resulting from or characterized by rashness or haste

My posting was put out there simply to prevent those of us who are rash, impulsive, easily excitable, impetuous, quick to jump the gun, premature or hasty from buying a sled that may not work for they're intended purpose as a stock mountain sled. :o|

croc79 said:
The Nytro is a good mtn sled but not a great one. Over weight 600! I love the nytro's but I'm not blind to the fact that it's not a great mtn sled but just a good one. However, I believe no other sled will out last the yam 4 stroke before needing the engine rebuilt or other major work done, even boosted sleds. That's why I bought mine. Only boosted M8's can keep up with mine, of course it come with a price.

What kind of conditions and what kind of country are you using youre Nytro? Where I live and drive snowmobile there is right now more than 2 yards of cold powder with layers of wet snow. There is threes all over and real back country riding with more less no trail riding. In this env. you must be a hell of a driver to keep up with a M7 on youre Boosted Nytro.

In everything else I agree with you.

pwa said:
croc79 said:

What kind of conditions and what kind of country are you using youre Nytro? Where I live and drive snowmobile there is right now more than 2 yards of cold powder with layers of wet snow. There is threes all over and real back country riding with more less no trail riding. In this env. you must be a hell of a driver to keep up with a M7 on youre Boosted Nytro.

In everything else I agree with you.

I ride Northwest (WA, UT, MT, ID, WY and OR). Most on Mt St Helens. Snow conditions change all the time so it hard to say. I enjoy anything but trail riding. Here's a youtube video on Helens. It was cloudy so you can't see the top, but on a clear day it's awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_9YzP6Ig8 The low light made it hard to see the terrain.

Back