• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on winch? Yes or no?

ZitRemedy

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Attak
As my other posts state I recently purchased a 2006 Yamaha Attak. The previous owner had installed a winch on the rear of the sled. There is a remote that then connects to two leads coming out from the right side foot well.

Its a bit rusted up, if I keep it I might replace the line with synthetic rope. Is anyone running a winch on their sled? I don't do a lot of off trail riding but it might be useful if I do. Can it cause issues to the frame or anything like that? It looks to be installed pretty good...its rated for 2500lbs.

I used to Cary a small folding come along in my attack Rx and apexes it was only about 2 lbs and a lot handier could be attached many places to pull all angles. A tree another sled or an anchor.

brother has one mounted in the nose of his 04 rx war mod and it comes in handy when you are by yourself pulling it out from stuck. just monitor where it is mounted for distortion/cracking and it should be fine.

I have never had one but I have had a few times I would have loved to have one. going off trail at all with that sled is a good chance of getting stuck and it is a Bi*** to get them unstuck near impossible when alone. I would make sure it has not caused any damage yet and if not leave it on.

I'd love to see a few pics of mounted winches. Always wondered about getting myself unstuck if no one is around to help.

Last edited:
Both pics won't show. It says the account needs to be updated. :(

I giggled when I read this thread title, and then thought about how nice it would have been in so many cases. Hell, I would probably use it on my sled more than the one I have on my wildcat!!

Having it mounted on the back leads me to believe it was on for a purpose other than just pulling the sled out. Possibly popping ice houses loose etc. I do know that I have used a ratchet strap as a make-shift winch a number of times. It's tedious, but it did help me get a yamaha out of the deep when riding by myself in the past.

Good luck, I will watch for your photos once posted.

i can see my links. anyone else have a problem seeing them? i did have to click on pics to enlarge them.

I take that back. I was able to see them from my phone, but not my laptop. It says you have to upgrade account to allow third party hosting.

I carry a small come-along in the nose of my nytro. The handle clicks on and off so it is very compact. It has been used infrequently but when it was needed, thank god it was there. My back is still grateful.
The fact is, when you get buried alone with these heavy sleds you are in big trouble.
MS

Got a link to that come-along? I'd love to find one small enough to carry with me.

I do not. But they are out on ebay. I purchased it 7 yrs ago. Try this link. This is essentially what I have.
You will also need some rope, a tree strap and a few steadymate loops.
Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TON-COMPA...hash=item3f0eb3109f:m:mW2v4rECaobkyxf4F0qIddg

I had a buddy 2 seasons ago that got pitched off a drift over a steep ledge on his Renegade. We were goosed if we didn't have that thing.

Back