• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips to starting em in the cold with race fuel???

Turk

Tech Advisor
Guys
T-2 was a no go today due to cold. I keep it in a 2 place aluminum enclosed. With 2/3 c-114 & 1/3 91 it would not start even with a boost pack. Temps were down to -28 C (-18F) at nite & got to -18C(-2F) during the day.Anyone got any tricks to starting these things in the cold with race fuel if a warm shop is not available.
I am gonna try a propane sunflower 12000 btu heater for about 1 hour in my enclosed trailer next time.

We use carb cleaner to get them started on race fuel ( C16 5 degrees). Not quite as hard on them as with either.

Turk
Ended up putting an oil pan heater on it , with the S/C and race fuel, solved my problems, plugged it in a few hours B4 or just left it plugged in over night ;)!

Turk
We put a quick coupler in the coolant hose so that we could hook up the cool cart.Our cool cart consists of a rad,pump and fan.To start the engine,I will unplug the fan and heat the rad with a propane heater while it's circulating through the engine.It'll start in about 10 min

On my TRX-1 I have the inline coolant heater. Easy to install and really helps. I plug it in for an hour or so and it starts right up.

I read somewhere that it doesn't work on a EFI sled. I have no idea why. I would like to install on my Apex, but wondering why it doesn't work???

thinksnow said:
On my TRX-1 I have the inline coolant heater. Easy to install and really helps. I plug it in for an hour or so and it starts right up.

I read somewhere that it doesn't work on a EFI sled. I have no idea why. I would like to install on my Apex, but wondering why it doesn't work???

Turk, the inline heater is the way to go. Cost is about $50 and it will start at -30 like it is summertime (even with race gas). I can send you a pic of one installed if you need it.

On the fuel injected sleds the heater is still the way to go, but you can't just go out and crank it after having the inline heater on for an hour or two. I think the heat confuses the enrichment circuit, and it doesn't like to fire. The easy fix is to unplug the fuelie about 20 minutes before you want to start it and it will fire and idle right away.

Had the same problem with my LP turbo I put a 80 watt silicone oil-pan heater on the block -- a cheap Canadian tire transformer will run that of my 12 volt system that is enough in a enclosed trailer with the cover on.
The Inline heater is the best though 20 min to 1/2 hour on the little generator and it starts up like summer.

I picked one up locally. Another bud that has one told me it,s useless so i hope to prove him wrong.
thanx guys

Back