• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Titanium brake rotor?

Nikolai

TY 4 Stroke God
So 6Al-4V Ti. is supposedly twice as strong as 7075 aluminum. The factory brake rotor is about 5/32" thick. For you metallurgists out there, would 1/8" Ti work for a brake rotor? Could Ti. handle the heat without warping?

Nikolai said:
So 6Al-4V Ti. is supposedly twice as strong as 7075 aluminum. The factory brake rotor is about 5/32" thick. For you metallurgists out there, would 1/8" Ti work for a brake rotor? Could Ti. handle the heat without warping?
I looked this up in one of my books from welding school, but here is what it says ti-6al-4v has poor surface wear properties and tends to seize when in sliding contact with itself and other metals. Surface treatments such as nitriding and oxidizing can improve the surface wear properties

What about cross drilling and removing the fan blade thing on each side of the stocker?

Removed the cooling fins last year and its a good weight loss. The Ti really doesn't cost that much and would be about .6 lbs lighter with holes in it. No one up here will drill the stock rotor(too hard) but if I have a Ti one waterjet cut then I can have them add holes to it. It would make for one really light brake rotor.

I did find a guy on another forum making them and he said with different pads Ti works fine. I'm not sure if anyone makes "different" brake pads for the Nytro though.

Maybe you could find a different caliper that is both lighter and works with different pads.

Caleb, we built a nother turbo sled last night while you worked on a .5 pound weight loss ;):D

Seriously though, you're a little nutty, but if you can make it work I need one I still haven't found anyone that will make me a 7" brake rotor yet.

Caleb, one of the things we used to do back in the day, use old 6 1/4" saw blades...Super light, and can handle the heat properties...drill a bunch of holes in them for lightening further, and they are CHEAP!!!

as to titanium, I would be concerned about the heat dissipation, as it is not an ideal make up for getting rid of heat...which is why most extreme high end brake systems are going to composite or ceramic with a more porous make up...

(just my junior achiever opinions)

Could you waterjet holes and "waves" to the stock rotor, the wave thingie would probably remove more weight than just holes.

Back