• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track tension general questions, ratcheting, etc...

RedPhazer

Expert
Hi Guys,

I replaced my hyfax and haven't had my track tension adjusted since my 500 mile service. I was wondering, how do you all adjust your track? I'm getting ready to go buy the appropriate fish scale to pull on the track and measure. Any other tips or tricks? I think I've read that some people run their tracks a little looser than the specs in the owners manual to try to cut down on hyfax wear. Also, I've heard people discuss ratcheting.... so, what is it? Does it occur more when the track is loose? I was also wondering if anybody clips every window in their track. This would cut down on friction and hyfax wear as well, correct? Or, maybe not... if you can't tell by now I'm pretty green when it comes to sleds!

Thanks,
Tom

loosen the rear wheels 17mm 19mm, get your self a deep well 14mm socket and wratchet. Adjusters are in the very back of the track threw the track windows. tight one turn at a time same on both sides. track tention varies. Everyone sets theres different. I set mine as loose as possible just so it dont wratchet.
Some may disagree, But thats how I set mine. Make sure to re tighten your rear wheels.

I do just like Xc.Leave it real loose check for ratcheting (which is the drive wheels skipping over the cogs in track)Check it by getting on it hard or better yet get on it hard landing off a small jump.If it ratchets I go 1/2turn on each repeating till it just stops ratcheting.

x2 on this, tighten it untill it dont ratchet anymore.

Thanks for the description on the ratcheting! I come from dirtbikes where you have the nice little marks on the side of the swingarm to help you get everything equal. I'm assuming there is nothing like this on the sled since the rear wheels would hide them anyhow? When you guys are tightening the track are you just real carefull to always turn each adjuster an equal amount? Also, when you encounter ratcheting is it pretty obvious when riding the sled that something is slipping? I'm assuming, since it's the drive "wheels" on the rubber nubs on the inside of the track, that it doesn't really make any noise?

Also, any input on clipping every window in the track? Does this help cut down on hyfax wear? Any disadvantages besides weight?

Thanks Guys!
--Tom

You will hear it when it ratchets.Will feel it vibrate also.I have never heard of anything being hurt by it though so its safe to adjust till it goes away.Yes when tightening I usually back it off till adjuster is flush then count turns going in and do both equal.(put a mark on your socket or extension to help.I use a electric impact to speed things up till its close)Then put sled on stand and turn track over a few times under power.Check clearance between rail and track guide should be same both sides or somewhat close if way off to move track to right tighten left.If you get it within 1/8in or so your good.Just make sure its not rubbing.

When I went from stock to Freeride fully clipped track I noticed no difference in slide wear and freeride is almost a paddle.Only thing that wore my slides is roads or extremely hardpacked snow.

Ratcheting seems more like a quick series of clunking under your feet. You'll know it when it happens.

For adjusting the track one other way to double check is to lift the back end up and run the sled letting the track roll around a few times then measure the amount of track that overlaps on each side of the back wheels. It should be even on both sides.

Myself and everyone here all agree on the loose track idea.

I fully clipped my track last January and rode almost 3000 miles. The clips that were installed are not flat, but have waves to help keep the snow on the slides. The hyfax is still in great shape. I also tightened the limiter strap about an inch as well.

It also helps to run the sled in the fluffy snow just off the groomed trail every now and then. Gotta keep them lubricated.

;)!

Oh yea I forgot to add that I also fully clipped my stock track the first season after my first set of hyfax wore out in 250 miles. It's still sitting around here if someone wants a fully clipped and studded stock track with only one season on it. Put the freeride track on the sled at the beginning of last season.

Sence were on the subject. I did not clip every window, However I did add 3 more sets of wheels back there. I thought about clipping and most should, the reason why there not clipped from the factory is cost. How Much for the Track Motoman?

RedPhazer said:
How did the Hyfax do after fully clipping the stock track?

They did a lot better. I got something round 1200 out of the next set before I put the low snow extra set of wheels on. Which extended the life of the hyfax out to about 1800 miles on the next set.

xc_phazer137 I'll sent you a PM about the track.

Back