• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank Install Questions?

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
Working on my 08" Nytro project this summer and looking to install a Trail Tank. I bought a used Trail Tank from a fellow TY member over 1 1/2 years ago and I cannot now remember who he was?

In any case, the tank came with the thumb screws and other hardware for the body panels, (2) o-rings, fuel pump mounting bolts and the aluminum plate and green wire below. The aluminum plate looks like it has something to do with the fuel sender but my fuel sender does not sit flat against either side of it? Not sure I need it and not sure what it is for? In addition, what might the green wire be for? Do I need that too?

Lastly, the hole in the Trail Tank for the fuel pump seems to be 2.0 mm or so smaller in diameter than my stock tank. So far I have not been able to get the fuel pump thru the hole in the tank to install it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, G.B.

IMG_1540.jpg

The fuel pump should slip right in as long as you don't have anything attached to the trail tank hole. Does the o-ring and the metal fuel ring fit the new trail tank hole? If you get it in and go to tighten it be very careful to not over tighten the small nuts on the ring or you will warp it and it will leak. Do you have the installation instructions for the tank?

Pete

The fuel pump should slip right in as long as you don't have anything attached to the trail tank hole. Does the o-ring and the metal fuel ring fit the new trail tank hole? If you get it in and go to tighten it be very careful to not over tighten the small nuts on the ring or you will warp it and it will leak. Do you have the installation instructions for the tank?

Pete
Thanks Pete for your reply. The O-ring and metal mounting ring for the fuel pump seems to fit just fine. It was the fuel pump itself that didn't pass cleanly thru the hole in the tank. I found an old post on Snowest where a guy had the same issue and he just jammed it in there. I wrangled my fuel pump around some more and leaned on it a little and it popped into the tank. Once in the fuel pump looks like it fits OK. As for the aluminum plate and green wire I am still not sure what they are for? My sending unit seemed to bolt up just fine to the Trail Tank. I put some O-ring lube on the O-rings and tightened all the fuel pump and fuel sending unit to the factory torque specs. No instructions came with the used tank. I printed off the instructions from the Trail Tank web site and they are a few words with no pictures; not much help. I called Trail tank yesterday and left a voice mail for Seth but he has not called back yet. At this point I have everything that I think is correct bolted to the Trail Tank. After reading a few threads on TY about leaks with these tanks, I plan to mount it to the sled and put 5 gallons of gas in it with no body panels or seat on it so I can look for leaks. If I am missing anything else that you can think of, let me know. Thanks again, Brett

One thing I remember was I had to relocate the tank vent going down to left foot well as it was being crushed by the new trail tank. Just move it so tank won't contact it and tie wrap in new spot. You may have to lengthen it or just replace with new fuel line (that's what I did).

Pete

One other thing I raised radiator mounts with blocks to give it more clearance as the trail tank takes alot of air space and can cause overheating issues. You will need to buy longer mounting bolts for radiator mounts at your local hardware store. I used a kitchen cutting board to make my mounts and drilled them to fit. I will post a pic.

Pete

20180823_090813-1470x1471.jpg
Here is some pics of the radiator mounts and you can see the new blue fuel line tank vent with a loop in it that then heads to the left foot well.

Pete

Pete,
Thanks so much for the additional info. I have been researching like crazy on here with Trail Tank stuff and haven't found all of my answers. I have read a lot of posts on the vent line and plan to be sure I route it clearly. I am getting ready to shim my radiator forward but was wondering how much you can shim it and have the radiator and its shroud still sit cleanly behind the body panels. Looks like you shimmed yours 3/4" forward in addition to raising up. Did you shim the bottom mounting bolt 3/4" as well? How much did you move the mountings holes up? Thx, G.B.

Oh shoot., one other question. My Trail Tank is an older one and it came with an O-ring seal for the fuel pump. The stock 08' fuel pump seal is a flat seal like the one shown in the picture below from the Trail Tank web site. Wondering should I use the O-ring or swap over my original flat type seal? G.B.

upload_2018-8-23_10-16-15.png

The shim went under both mounting bolts on radiator. I used the seal provided with my trail tank.

Pete

The shim went under both mounting bolts on radiator. I used the seal provided with my trail tank.

Pete
Cool, thanks Pete. I assume that raising the radiator and moving if forward does not cause and fit issues with the body work? It looks like you have raised the radiator something like a 1/2"? Does that sound right? Thanks again, Brett

I’ve seen the radiator “lift” on here but was looking for plastic shims to complete it. I like your cutting board idea. I actually for a web site that you can have custom size cutting boards made and they are cheap. Found a 3/4” thick one so thank you for the info on what you used and thickness.

Yup Wife didn't catch me cutting up her cutting board. Nice hard and durable plastic for shimming the radiator.

Pete

I stopped by my favorite True Value hardware store on the way to the office this morning to get some longer bolts to shim the radiator. I found these steel spacers that have a 1/4" ID x 3/4" long for $1.55 each that would make the install pretty clean I think. G.B.

IMG_1544 (1).jpg

Back