• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailer Sway...

The arch mentioned should be at 45 degrees up and to the rear.
I have aligned a lot of trailers, for others and myself. Built several myself.
The way I do it is put a good chain around the spring and axle where the axle is u bolted to the spring, positioning the chain under a jack (usually use a small floor jack ) positioned at 45 degrees to the front and down. Just jack and check and jack and check till you have the axle bent to give the proper wheel alignment.
Check your arch is the correct way, I once seen a trailer that the axle had been put in wrong.

I have a 2002 R&R 7x27 trailer (triple torsion axles) and I pull it with a 2014 F-150 4x4 crew cab short bed. I have Firestone airbags installed on the truck and find a noticeable difference in sway using lower pressures in the airbags. I started at 45psi in them and ended up at 70psi when I have the trailer loaded with 3-4 sleds. I also pulled the same trailer with my old truck (2001 Chevy 1500 extended cab short bed) which also had airbags and the same thing was true. Granted, triple torsion axles may tow better from the get go than tandem spring axles.

If you are sitting level and you have proper LT tires with at least 60psi. There is usually a little squat in a truck especially 1/2 tons. That light trailer with two sleds is a sail for sure. I feel you cuz sway makes for a horrible trip. I do agree with the person who talked about differences in trailers. I pulled my buddy’s 4 place tall enclosed steel trailer and it pulled straight as an arrow. I too have F-150 4x4 ecoboost. I pulled my other buddy’s online 22ft aluminum trailer that isn’t as high weight distributed correctly and that thing was swaying all over. I’m not saying your trailer is not good just that some trailers sway inherently. It’s not just my truck it sways with his 250 diesel experiences the same thing. I will agree to disagree on needing airbags in this case. I do think they are an excellent product and serve a purpose in many situations. If you choose to look into them. Check out summo springs. They don’t require air but are similar to airbags, not the same. A less expensive alternative that have proved helpful for many

Back