• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trouble reinstalling drive shaft

Ramaha

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE EPS
2017 Sr Viper RTX-SE
2014 Sr Viper RTX-SE
1998 Venture 700
I am working on replacing the track in my RTX. I have the track and driveshaft reinstalled, however I can't remember the parts order inside the chain case. Is there supposed to be a retaining clip between the main lower gear and the bearing? If I put the retaining clip in against the bearing, there isn't enough space to install one on the end by the magnet.

Well there are 2 circlips but unless you removed the one for the bearing it should still be there so the one you have to install is after your gear assembly is installed.

60c1cb95-71e0-4eed-a35c-0324310168fc.gif

I also noticed you're new to the forum but are a VIP member and lifetime to boot. Just wanted to let you know that you can PM any moderator and request a PDF copy of the service manual for your Viper; if you hadn't already done so. Along with the microfiche image Snoden posted, it contains a lot of useful information. ;)!

I also noticed you're new to the forum but are a VIP member and lifetime to boot. Just wanted to let you know that you can PM any moderator and request a PDF copy of the service manual for your Viper; if you hadn't already done so. Along with the microfiche image Snoden posted, it contains a lot of useful information. ;)!
Thanks for the info, wasn’t aware of that

Well there are 2 circlips but unless you removed the one for the bearing it should still be there so the one you have to install is after your gear assembly is installed.
I was looking at the same fiche. I had the shaft out completely so the inner clip was also removed. I’ve put it back in but there isn’t enough space between the 2 clips for both gears now. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

You need to take a ratchet strap and squeeze the tunnel together. Should take up enough space to get clips on.

You need to take a ratchet strap and squeeze the tunnel together. Should take up enough space to get clips on.
Thanks I’ll try that tomorrow.

I'm not sure about this method....our group wont do it again. We did this on 2 sleds in the past and both sleds had the chain case experience cracks to the fixed part of the case that had to be replaced. We believe from to much flex. Our preferred method now is to squeeze the brake pucks in, this allows the shaft to move towards the chain case just a little more. Make sure the plate in the tunnel that holds the brake caliper on is not pinched, I've seen these installed wrong and that raises issue as well.

Back