• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jack shaft removal. Need help

Guys if you have the proper tool for the collar it loosens right up. If you dont, just loosen the nut until it equal with the end of the collar then use a punch and tap the nut straight in towards the clutch side and it will loosen. Mine has been apart a few time and it is pretty easy. Then shaft can be removed out the clutch side with with the clutch side bearing and support attached. the snap ring you are looking for is on the inside of the clutch side bearing. Clutch side bearing is also pressed on the shaft. ( do not hit the shaft to remove that bearing as you will bang up the end of shaft it is soft.)use a press.

Looking at my old setup now. If you have a puller you can try pulling the clutch side bearing and frame member off the shaft as a assembly. Then yes you will be able to remove the whole shaft by tapping clutchside in toward chaincase. You can then cut the bearing off using a cutoff wheel in diegrinder or angle grinder.

Thank you all for your comments. Cannondale, I finally went with your suggestion. Used a puller and took the secondary side off the shaft. Then lightly tapped out the jackshaft via the chaincase side. Cut off my Bearing, nut and sleeve. Interesting that the sleeve was on so tight that as soon as I cut through the inside chase of the bearing that I felt a pop and the whole thing slid apart. Note to self. This is now going to be an annual maintenance procedure to ensure it doesn't weld up again.

Thank you all for your comments. Cannondale, I finally went with your suggestion. Used a puller and took the secondary side off the shaft. Then lightly tapped out the jackshaft via the chaincase side. Cut off my Bearing, nut and sleeve. Interesting that the sleeve was on so tight that as soon as I cut through the inside chase of the bearing that I felt a pop and the whole thing slid apart. Note to self. This is now going to be an annual maintenance procedure to ensure it doesn't weld up again.
Glad you got it. Check the checkball in breather if it's not visible it stuck open and could have allowed moisture to corrode sleeve or someone just overtightened the sleeve.

Guys if you have the proper tool for the collar it loosens right up. If you dont, just loosen the nut until it equal with the end of the collar then use a punch and tap the nut straight in towards the clutch side and it will loosen. Mine has been apart a few time and it is pretty easy. Then shaft can be removed out the clutch side with with the clutch side bearing and support attached. the snap ring you are looking for is on the inside of the clutch side bearing. Clutch side bearing is also pressed on the shaft. ( do not hit the shaft to remove that bearing as you will bang up the end of shaft it is soft.)use a press.
He tried that with collar Shagman. Something out of ordinary must have happened to the collar.

Thanks again guys. Back loving working on my machine again. Question though. Is anyone here progressing the wobble bearing before putting it back in or will Thisbe interfere with the chaincase oil that should provide lubrication for the bearing.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. Back loving working on my machine again. Question though. Is anyone here progressing the wobble bearing before putting it back in or will Thisbe interfere with the chaincase oil that should provide lubrication for the bearing.
I just used chaincase oil to prelube it.

Thanks Cannondale

Hi, I have the very same problem and read your posts with interest, very usefull - thanks! I tried with a 2 jaws puller and a flat bar behind the bearing housing and could not pull it before it came unstable, seems super pressed fit. May I ask you how you did it? Did you actually build a special puller? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have the very same problem and read your posts with interest, very usefull - thanks! I tried with a 2 jaws puller and a flat bar behind the bearing housing and could not pull it before it came unstable, seems super pressed fit. May I ask you how you did it? Did you actually build a special puller? Thanks in advance.
So your collar is stuck too? All the bolts are out of the housing/frame member? Is the flat bar you used necessary? Two jaw puller should not hurt the housing if careful.

So your collar is stuck too? All the bolts are out of the housing/frame member? Is the flat bar you used necessary? Two jaw puller should not hurt the housing if careful.
All bolts are out and snap ring, Flat bar was to get jaws equally distanced from shaft, but it bent...please see my pics where I re-tried as you said, will need to hold the puller straight with a piece of wood. Aside from snap ring, anything else that could stop the bearing from moving? I am impressed how much force is needed to pull it without damaging the housing...

Attachments

• 2E688575-19A0-4D92-A096-79F4FA603A97.jpeg
    2E688575-19A0-4D92-A096-79F4FA603A97.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
All bolts are out and snap ring, Flat bar was to get jaws equally distanced from shaft, but it bent...please see my pics where I re-tried as you said, will need to hold the puller straight with a piece of wood. Aside from snap ring, anything else that could stop the bearing from moving? I am impressed how much force is needed to pull it without damaging the housing...

On less I'm missing something the jack shaft needs to be pulled from the secondary side or pushed from the chain case side. By the look of that puller ur pushing in the direction it can't go.

Look at some of the videos posted in this post.

On less I'm missing something the jack shaft needs to be pulled from the secondary side or pushed from the chain case side. By the look of that puller ur pushing in the direction it can't go.

Look at some of the videos posted in this post.
No think of it as pulling the frame member off shaft.

No think of it as pulling the frame member off shaft. With bearing in it.
Ok see what you mean now. so you can do it this way without taking the chain apart? Then you can press the bearing out of the frame peace.

Last edited:

Back