• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

kritter5150 said:
well that didnt last long. 150 miles. belt exploded. second belt to go. one was the viper belt. that lasted 1500 miles. nytro belt lasted 150 miles. now what??

I would check your clutches. Ours was binding from clutch belt dust at 200 miles, and if you blew a belt some of it may still be in the clutches. Try removing belt and primary and secondary springs and check for smooth and non binding action.

stingray719 said:
kritter5150 said:
well that didnt last long. 150 miles. belt exploded. second belt to go. one was the viper belt. that lasted 1500 miles. nytro belt lasted 150 miles. now what??

I would check your clutches. Ours was binding from clutch belt dust at 200 miles, and if you blew a belt some of it may still be in the clutches. Try removing belt and primary and secondary springs and check for smooth and non binding action.[/qu

i did that, should be good. ;)!

stingray719 said:
09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Try a gates g-force belt !
Part # 40g4313

OMG give up! Ulmer is using 8dn, Hartman is testing 8dn, I say it works and countless others and still you are trying to say it does not. Now not everybody knows how to identify a "Technical Wizard In Training" aka TWIT so please people do your research before you believe a TWIT and not someone who actually tests things. Call your favorite clutching expert and ASK, all that I deal with will take the time to talk to you and explain things if you have questions. But there time is valuable so please ask just the questions you need answers to and not "how does a clutch work"...lol.

i did not say it didnt work. i was basically asking why my belts are breaking. obviously something other than the belts is not working properly

kritter5150 said:
stingray719 said:
09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Part # 40g4313

OMG give up! Ulmer is using 8dn, Hartman is testing 8dn, I say it works and countless others and still you are trying to say it does not. Now not everybody knows how to identify a "Technical Wizard In Training" aka TWIT so please people do your research before you believe a TWIT and not someone who actually tests things. Call your favorite clutching expert and ASK, all that I deal with will take the time to talk to you and explain things if you have questions. But there time is valuable so please ask just the questions you need answers to and not "how does a clutch work"...lol.

i did not say it didnt work. i was basically asking why my belts are breaking. obviously something other than the belts is not working properly
Ok meat head , where in there did I say it doesn't work , he ask what else should I try and I simply gave him another belt to try , I'm am happy it works for others I could really careless if it works for you or not stingray . I wish you had some usable info but you don't , let me guess I bet you are going to start another poll ..... :jump: :jump:
Beside I thought I was on your list , what a meat heard ! :jump: :jump:
One other thing please don't insult again like that or there will be problems !!!

09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
stingray719 said:
09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Part # 40g4313

Ok meat head , where in there did I say it doesn't work , he ask what else should I try and I simply gave him another belt to try , I'm am happy it works for others I could really careless if it works for you or not stingray . I wish you had some usable info but you don't , let me guess I bet you are going to start another poll ..... :jump: :jump:
Beside I thought I was on your list , what a meat heard ! :jump: :jump:
One other thing please don't insult again like that or there will be problems !!!

LOL, that was funny....thanks I needed that.

kritter5150 said:
stingray719 said:
09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Part # 40g4313

Kritter that response was not meant for you. I answered you in another post.

Thanks!

Did some belt testing yesterday. Viper belt vs a 8DN belt. Both belts were new and both were broke in with about 20 miles on them.

Added washers to the 8DN for good belt deflection.

The Viper belt measured 1123mm. The 8DN measured 1131mm.

Tested on a approx 1/4 mile long icy river bed with fresh snow on top packed down from other sled traffic.
Not the best for top speed but smooth and flat.

Both belts performed about the same.

Top end was showing in the low 90 mph range at the end of each run. I ran multiple runs back to back in both directions on both belts.

The engine was spinning between 8900-9050 RPMs on the runs for both belts.

My sled is stock with a Hauck clutch kit. 1830 miles on the sled.
The same Hauck clutch kit I had on my Nytro but I changed the weight to work on the Viper.
I installed the Hauck clutch kit at around 350 miles on the sled.

The new Viper belt I tested yesterday the width measured 1.340". The original Viper I took off belt measured 1.315".

I had the original belt on since day one.
The original belt I took off had about 1760 miles on it. Over all it looked good. Just wore 0.025".

FYI on my findings.

09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Part # 40g4313

Also check your offset , it should be 20mm , take a straightedge from front of primary clutch to the back edge of the secondary then on front edge of secondary you should have 20mm make sure your clutch is pushed all the way in on bearing on jack shaft . Also so make sure you have free play on secondary , if it needs adjustment you can get the clutch shims from your dealer .....

Or take it to your dealer and they can check for you , with the right tools it should only take like 10 min to check it and adjust it , so what I'm saying is if your in good terms with your dealer they should just go out to your trailer and check it , really no reason to leave it there for a week for them to check and adjust

larrypolaris said:
Did some belt testing yesterday. Viper belt vs a 8DN belt. Both belts were new and both were broke in with about 20 miles on them.

Tested on a approx 1/4 mile long icy river bed with fresh snow on top packed down from other sled traffic.

Top end was showing in the low 90 mph range at the end of each run. I ran multiple runs back to back in both directions on both belts.

The same Hauck clutch kit I had on my Nytro but I changed the weight to work on the Viper.

The new Viper belt I tested yesterday the width measured 1.340". The original Viper I took off belt measured 1.315".

The original belt I took off had about 1760 miles on it. Over all it looked good. Just wore 0.025".

FYI on my findings.

That's good info. Thanks.

It's weird that your performance dint Change, and you rpm didn't change. It was like night and day difference for me.

Did you check clutch temp after the runs?

Which belt are you going to use?

09nytro said:
09nytro said:
kritter5150 said:
Part # 40g4313

Also check your offset , it should be 20mm , take a straightedge from front of primary clutch to the back edge of the secondary then on front edge of secondary you should have 20mm make sure your clutch is pushed all the way in on bearing on jack shaft .

I thought it was the same as previous Yamaha's- 15mm +/-1.5???

YamahaTim said:
larrypolaris said:

FYI on my findings.

It's weird that your performance dint Change, and you rpm didn't change. It was like night and day difference for me.

Note he is runnig Hauck aftermarket clutch. Also note how much of his 8JP burned away, .025 width.

I know, that's why I think it's a little weird that he got the same performance out of both belts. And kept the same rpm.

YamahaTim said:
I know, that's why I think it's a little weird that he got the same performance out of both belts. And kept the same rpm.

Both the Viper belt and 8DN belts I tested yesterday were brand new belts.

I put approx 20 miles on each before I did the high speed runs.

My original Viper belt that I took off before these runs had 1760 miles on it
and it had 0.025" less width than the new Viper belt I installed yesterday for the runs.

larrypolaris said:
YamahaTim said:

Both the Viper belt and 8DN belts I tested yesterday were brand new belts.

I put approx 20 miles on each before I did the high speed runs.

My original Viper belt that I took off before these runs had 1760 miles on it
and it had 0.025" less width than the new Viper belt I installed yesterday for the runs.

Right on, seems like a lot of wear. What belt are you going to use from now on??

YamahaTim said:
larrypolaris said:

FYI on my findings.

I forgot my lazer temp light. But I did touch both clutches after each run on both belts.
The primary was warm to the touch with both belts.
The seconday was hot. Not super hot, but hotter then the primary. And basically felt the same with both belts.

I plan on running the 8DN. I marked my primary with a marker and the 8DN ran higher on the primary.

I think in the long run the 8DN will pull more mph.

Back