• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuned and gearing?

Kenzie

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Viper ltx se 137 turbo
Is everyone pretty much staying stock gearing ratio for tuned sleds even 24/50 and heard cats lower now?

22/41 Is what I ran on a 17 winder. 270 tune.. I will be running same on 22 with tune.. Its easier if you put a few miles on the stock chain before changing to a 22 top.. It can be done with new chain but its TIGHT.. What I like about the 22/41 combo is it gives a few up top AND keeps the chain running with a slightly less bend in the chain case.. Its more of a prefect oval compared to a oval and a good bend(especially after chain stretches with 21 top)on the chain roller side.

Last edited:
i ran 24/50 on my 270 tuned sled for a few seasons, it pulls hard 30-90 but really isn't great for cruising at higher speeds. I switched to 21/41 this year and my brother runs 22/41 in his tuned cat and we didn't see a huge difference running them on the rail beds.

22/41 Is what I ran on a 17 winder. 270 tune.. I will be running same on 22 with tune.. Its easier if you put a few miles on the stock chain before changing to a 22 top.. It can be done with new chain but its TIGHT.. What I like about the 22/41 combo is it gives a few up top AND keeps the chain running with a slightly less bend in the chain case.. Its more of a prefect oval compared to a oval and a good bend(especially after chain stretches) on the chain roller side.

X2

Sounds like the 24/50 be coming out for 21/41 or 22 on a 146 tuned trail sled

I alway like 24/50 for trail riding i find the response corner to corner is better..imo
Our group all tried these gears over the last few seasons and we got to compare side by side
22/41
21/41
21/38
24/50
This season everyone but me swapped back to 24/50 .

Sounds like the 24/50 be coming out for 21/41 or 22 on a 146 tuned trail sled
What sort of trail riding do you do? If you run mainly tight and twisties and barely ever go over 100 stock gearing will be just fine. If you run big trails, fields and railbeds I would def go higher gearing. They just cruise better at 70+ and have more pull at 100+ and fuel mileage will actually increase a bit.

UP trails. Fast straighter type trails. 22/41 with a higher helix angle really back-shifts down VERY nicely. Great gas mileage cruising 50-80 mph. 270 tune I use barely any more gas then a stock viper I ride with a lot. 11k plus for miles in 4-5 years. I would put .2 more gallons of gas in. Unreal.

I alway like 24/50 for trail riding i find the response corner to corner is better..imo
Our group all tried these gears over the last few seasons and we got to compare side by side
22/41
21/41
21/38
24/50
This season everyone but me swapped back to 24/50 .

24/50 in my Cat and I’ll never go back. Have a 24/50 set ready for my Winder. The corner to corner snap and 0-110 is insane.

What kind of MPG loss, if any, would I see going from 21/41 to 24/50?

My Sidewinder already has the worst fuel range in my group.

Probably none. I take the same amount of fuel as the 2 T-Cats I ride with. They run the stock 24-50 gearing. I ran 21-41.
That 24-50 is actually a really nice trail gear. I wouldnt use it to race 2500 ft but who here is strictly lake racing?
In fact on some of the shorter runs we did@1200ft it seemed to be an advantage.,

0 difference... we are always the same at the pumps between
21/41
22/41
21/38
24/50

Probably none. I take the same amount of fuel as the 2 T-Cats I ride with. They run the stock 24-50 gearing. I ran 21-41.
That 24-50 is actually a really nice trail gear. I wouldnt use it to race 2500 ft but who here is strictly lake racing?
In fact on some of the shorter runs we did@1200ft it seemed to be an advantage.,

You know the trails I ride. 21/41 feels like its just barely getting going between corners. I feel like 24/50 may be better for our trail system.

You know the trails I ride. 21/41 feels like its just barely getting going between corners. I feel like 24/50 may be better for our trail system.

Get rid of the 35 helix IF your looking for 0-100 speed.. That helix is lazy.. IMO

If I had to do it again, when I bought my DMC upper gear, I would have bought a 24 and went with the 24 -50 gearing.
I just ordered a 2022 LTX, I am waiting to see what gearing is in it. I am betting 21-41.
Get rid of the 35 helix IF your looking for 0-100 speed.. That helix is lazy.. IMO
I tried some different helix's, up and down with my TAPP primary. That 35 seemed to be the sweet spot. I never did fool with with flipping the ramps.
A steeper helix probably works well with a different profile weight, are you running the heavy hitters? Those have a pretty aggressive profile correct?
I have to start fresh next year with a new sled and am open to trying some different things.....

Back