• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner III Ski Setup

DIwarrior

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2021 Sidewinder LTX GT
2020 Sidewinder LTX GT
2001 SRX
FACEBOOK
Nope
I’m looking for advise on the best setup for the stock Tuner III’s on a Sidewinder ridden exclusively on groomed trails in the U.P. I am running an Ice Attack 1.22 so it is mildly studed. Most of my research here on Tuners, the threads end up morphing into what aftermarket ski is better. I’m not willing to spend another $500 to $800 for a set of skis. Just want to make the stock ski as good as possible. I am currently running Woodys 6” on the inside and 4” on the outside edges.

I’m looking for advise on the best setup for the stock Tuner III’s on a Sidewinder ridden exclusively on groomed trails in the U.P. I am running an Ice Attack 1.22 so it is mildly studed. Most of my research here on Tuners, the threads end up morphing into what aftermarket ski is better. I’m not willing to spend another $500 to $800 for a set of skis. Just want to make the stock ski as good as possible. I am currently running Woodys 6” on the inside and 4” on the outside edges.
I put 6" inside and outside it helped a little.
Brake into the corner and braaaap out of it ;)

Describe your handling "problem" to get more direct advice. What don't you like about your handling?
Mostly hard steering and excessive darting on hardpack trails.

So you must not have Steve OCD's writeup on Semi Aggressive Snotrackers :) he swears by them now and off season I will likely purchase that. I can also tell you my buddy is running 8" Qualipieces square bars on the inside and stock outside and loving them. He corners great. Rides hard (not a hard as Steve though!) I saw a thread somewhere else where a guy running the Qualipieces swore by them.

Tighten front skid shock pre-load a little at a time and test until you have a balance you like.

You can try lengthening the limiter strap also but I would start with the front skid shock.

I ran Snowtrackers on my MTX skis and they made VERY light steering but had too much push even after shortening the limiter strap. Tried both semi-aggressive and Agressive preferred semi-agressive on that ski (not the same at all as Snowtrackers on Tuners).

Tighten front skid shock pre-load a little at a time and test until you have a balance you like.

You can try lengthening the limiter strap also but I would start with the front skid shock.

I ran Snowtrackers on my MTX skis and they made VERY light steering but had too much push even after shortening the limiter strap. Tried both semi-aggressive and Agressive preferred semi-agressive on that ski (not the same at all as Snowtrackers on Tuners).

So you must not have Steve OCD's writeup on Semi Aggressive Snotrackers :) he swears by them now and off season I will likely purchase that. I can also tell you my buddy is running 8" Qualipieces square bars on the inside and stock outside and loving them. He corners great. Rides hard (not a hard as Steve though!) I saw a thread somewhere else where a guy running the Qualipieces swore by them.

Thanks, I’m going back and digging around some more!

Looks like there are some options out there.

If you are having darting issues there is something funky chicken there, have you checked your ski alignment. What kind of front shocks do you have if they are coil spring take all the preload off of the springs sounds like you have way to much ski pressure. I have 6" Ace bar on the inside and the stock Yamaha 4" round bar on the out side and I can drive mine with one hand and it does not dart at all. You may have to mess with the pre load on the front skid shock also but go a little at a time until you get it were you want it. Make sure your limiter strap is in the stock position also a lot of guys shorten them up not a good idea in my eyes

Big groomed trails you say? Tuner 3's you say?
SNOWTRACKERS!
My sled does not dart, does not push even at EXTREME speeds & has THE EASIEST steering including both the new POO & DOO. Their words not mine.

RULES to LIVE BY:
1. Put them on
2. Tune sled to them & your trails
3. Smile
4. PM me & offer me your first born......................................or just thank me

Snow trackers, with some centre shock preload ,
Tuners and Snowtrackers !
3 years on my Apex , and 3 years on my Sidewinder .
For any ski and skid combination there is a sweet spot .
The art is finding that , to suit your riding style.

Big groomed trails you say? Tuner 3's you say?
SNOWTRACKERS!
My sled does not dart, does not push even at EXTREME speeds & has THE EASIEST steering including both the new POO & DOO. Their words not mine.

RULES to LIVE BY:
1. Put them on
2. Tune sled to them & your trails
3. Smile
4. PM me & offer me your first born......................................or just thank me

I used Snowtrackers on my RX1 and then two different Apexes over a 12 year period. They worked perfect for me. When I got the Sidewinder, I wasn’t crazy about the Tuners and thought about Snowtrackers. I couldn’t find much info at the time so I went with 6.9 Pilots and 7.5” Shaper bars. This set up is ok but I miss the precise steering of the Snowtrackers. After reading this, I am going to try a set on my Tuners.

Steve, if you want my kids, you can have them. Just let me know where to send them. I have three all in their 20’s. The oldest daughter sleeeps most of the time. The son will be a huge asset to you because he knows absolutely everything already. Don’t worry about the youngest daughter, she will quit whining and pouting once she gets what she wants.

Back