• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Close Offs

Ok, so most don't want to pull the tunnel protectors...
But they seem to be the problem spot.
Ice likes to creep along and build on them first.
Once it gets to a certain point... Fast and ugly ice build up occurs all over.

So, I think...
Those who are putting sheets of steel across the tops of the tunnel protectors only, may be getting this right.

mach9 said:
Ok, so most don't want to pull the tunnel protectors...
But they seem to be the problem spot.
Ice likes to creep along and build on them first.
Once it gets to a certain point... Fast and ugly ice build up occurs all over.

So, I think...
Those who are putting sheets of steel across the tops of the tunnel protectors only, may be getting this right.

So pulling the tunnel protectors eliminates this problem? I just had a backcountry track installed on mine and the tunnel protectors taken out. Last time I rode my sled I had a ton of ice build up in the tunnel. Next ride I'll watch for it.

Yes removing the tunnel protectors eliminates 99.8% of the build up toward the front and middle of the tunnel. Last year I made a plate to enclose my tunnel and it took care of most icing toward the center but not up front. This year no protectors and no ice front and center. Now I get ice build up on the bar that runs side to side that the tunnel protector used to mount to (about a foot from the rear of the tunnel on an XTX). But nothing bad, and easy to remove.

I wish I had pics of the snow/ice under my sled after 200 miles last weekend. Last year without the block off plate, in the same sort of conditions, it would go into the shop to thaw out probably 50lbs of frozen stuff on the inside and outside of the tunnel.

I had virtually nothing on the outside and running boards and the underside had a little bit hanging off the protectors, but no more than my old Revs ever had. All the build up was in the muffler area last year and with the majority of it covered it looks like the problem is mostly solved.

Going for a ride tomorrow and will take pics when I put it back in the shop and see if I have the same results as last weekend! ;)!

Attachments

• XTX Tunnel Braces 010 (Medium).jpg
    XTX Tunnel Braces 010 (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 97
The AAEN exhaust is helping you quiet a bit. I ran the AAEN pipe for a while and without any block off there was very little ice that built up. With the ceramic coat all the heat goes out the back pof the exhaust.

block off

Rode 120 miles today in 3 degree weather with fresh snow, had very little ice build up in tunnel except for the last foot of tunnel on a xtx, I left the last foot of tunnel protectors in for added support but took the rest of protectors out, and also have a block off plate installed, This ride I tryed something different I took some of my heavy duty pam grilling spray and sprayed tunnel before the ride, sprayed shock linkage, wheels, tunnel very little build up, I was happy. :Rockon:

I dont get the whole tunnel close offf thing>>> I mean i get some ice and snow build up , but I carry a rubber mallet and bang the sh@$ off after a ride .. big deal, seems like u guys are makeing a bigger deal out of this than it is.... its ice and snow knock it off and go ride!!!!

is there anyone that has done a under tunnel exhaust on a xtx ? plz post pics if u have. Im thinking about do that if its possible so i can have some stuff under the seat instead.

Anyone have a pic with dimensions of the actual piece of aluminum that was bolted up? Pics are good, but I can't really see how the sheet is bent and how long/wide it needs to be. Thanks

cawcislo said:
Anyone have a pic with dimensions of the actual piece of aluminum that was bolted up? Pics are good, but I can't really see how the sheet is bent and how long/wide it needs to be. Thanks

I used 0.05" aluminum. It's available thru McMaster.com in a 24 X 36" sheet.

If you're running studs see my note on the first page of this thread.

NOTE: the sides are bent upwards about 45-degrees to provide a gap between the tunnel and shield and also to deflect snow.

Attachments

• shield 04.jpg
    shield 04.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 89
  • shield 04.jpg
    shield 04.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 887
  • Shield 04.PDF
    71 KB · Views: 129
Art, are you running a tunnel heat exchanger with the aluminum plate?

No additional heat exchanger. You might need to shorten the panel or make a cut-out to accommodate MTX heat exchanger. This shield comes to the forward most brackets for the tunnel protectors. I would suggest that you model this up with a sheet of paperboard to confirm the fit or to estimate where it needs to be trimmed.

arteeex said:
No additional heat exchanger. You might need to shorten the panel or make a cut-out to accommodate MTX heat exchanger. This shield comes to the forward most brackets for the tunnel protectors. I would suggest that you model this up with a sheet of paperboard to confirm the fit or to estimate where it needs to be trimmed.

art.. being the technical mind you are...you should make some er at least one more... :-o

Having the technical mind I do...my focus is usually on getting other people to do my work, preferably without them noticing.

To do this at home you'll need a jigsaw or band saw, fine tooth blade, a straight edge, clamps and some lumber to use to form the bends. I did this, so it's not difficult.

ar / tee / ex

Arteex...thanks for posting the template....looks good, I'm going to give it a try.

Back