• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel closure kit?

maniac

Pro
sorry guys new to phaser if i close of tunnel with stock exhaust anything to worry about like melting plastic or seat also do i remove the plastic pieces on each side thanks

Close off the rear hole to help with the ice build up. A lot of guys keep the front hole open. That is how the new phazers come. You should not have a problem with heat if you do it this way.

closed off the back hole on my sled with the schmidt bros kit ( way cheaper than dealer ) and remove rear snow flap ,If It already hasn't ripped off by backing off of your truck and your snow build up problem is gone.

Weapon X said:
closed off the back hole on my sled with the schmidt bros kit ( way cheaper than dealer ) and remove rear snow flap ,If It already hasn't ripped off by backing off of your truck and your snow build up problem is gone.

Removing the snow flap? is this only for installation or permanently?

yamahas said:
Weapon X said:

Good question. You'd think it'd over heat for sure if you removed it.
Don't know if that's the answer?

spike337 said:
yamahas said:
Weapon X said:

Good question. You'd think it'd over heat for sure if you removed it.
Don't know if that's the answer?

yea thats what i was getting at. The snow deflects back onto the top of the track and hits the heat exchanger.

You could also just use a sheet of aluminum and rivit it to the tunnel, would be the cheapest way to go. Leave the front open to cool off under the gas thank and you will be good to go.

My sled has never overheated once I have a temp sticker on top of my rad so I keep an eye on it. I have 1700 miles with flap off never had a problem yet. If there is deep powder to ride in along any trail I'm usually there , not actually on the trail so I've played enough in the deep snow to see the difference from stock when I got it new ,tunnel would be covered in ice everywhere and now the build up is like every other sled. no ice at all.

Weapon X said:
My sled has never overheated once I have a temp sticker on top of my rad so I keep an eye on it. I have 1700 miles with flap off never had a problem yet. If there is deep powder to ride in along any trail I'm usually there , not actually on the trail so I've played enough in the deep snow to see the difference from stock when I got it new ,tunnel would be covered in ice everywhere and now the build up is like every other sled. no ice at all.

That makes sense off trail vs on trail. It is colder in Winnipeg then it is here in Ontario. In westport i think most of maniac's riding would be on trail, right?

martin63092 said:
... buy the kit straight from yamaha it comes with extra heat protective thing, ask your dealer

^^^^X2

I did mine, broke three rivet guns on the front four rivets but it looks good.

I have the OEM Yamaha kit on mine. It comes with all the heat shields. I just had the dealer install because i heard the directions stunk and i was lazy. No more ice!

Did my own with a 12" X 24" (I think) piece of aluminum "snagged" from work and rivited it on with an air riviter in about 15 minutes, done- no instructions needed. $80 rip off....
Still have the side plastic on as well for looks, been fine. No buildup.

Back