• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Unexpected vibration!!!

JAZZ04RX1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-LE
Was riding this weekend and my 2016 LTX began to vibrate like a belt was going. I stopped and checked the belt and clutches no issue. As a matter of fact just installed a new 8DN belt before the ride. As I was slowing down to stop I also heard a lot of extra clutch noise. I do have the TP Venom clutch kit and a TP belt adjuster installed. Got back on the sled and the noise was gone, after about 20 miles it began to happen again. Stopped and checked the belt and clutches all good. Rolled the sled on it side to check track or idler wheels or for ice build up. No issues there. Sled ran great when no vibration was happening. This was an intermittent issue during our ride of about 130 miles on Sat.

Looking for any help or direction here. This really has me worried!!

Is it studded? How many miles? Track aligned? Track tensioned? If my track is too loose I get a vibration, also on ice I can occasionally get a little vibration from the stud heads on the wheels. I run an 8dn belt also. Last question. Have you ridden it since installing clutch kit or first time out? Might have to go through the whole driveline to rule everything out. I don't have an "it's this!" Answer but a few things I would start with. Let us know if you figure it out! :o|

I had a problem with the rear shock , it was rubing on the stud heads inside the track, only on real hard trails or humps in the trail , found out that the rear shock mount had flipped over when we had the rear springs unhooked. Very costly mistake

Did you happen to take a pic? Thanks

Did you happen to take a pic? Thanks
No I didn't but the shock will rub the track and the stud heads,and wear the sock mount off on the front mount of the rear shock. when it is in the normal spot the shock is up off the track 2 or 3 inches

Is it studded? How many miles? Track aligned? Track tensioned? If my track is too loose I get a vibration, also on ice I can occasionally get a little vibration from the stud heads on the wheels. I run an 8dn belt also. Last question. Have you ridden it since installing clutch kit or first time out? Might have to go through the whole driveline to rule everything out. I don't have an "it's this!" Answer but a few things I would start with. Let us know if you figure it out! :o|

Yes it is studded 2 studs per block down the center, 2500 miles, track tension and alignment seem to be ok. Clutch kit was installed last year and have over 1ooo miles on it no issues. The 8DN belt and adjuster was installed on Friday prior to the ride on Sat. Thanks for the reply and things to check but those were also my first things to look at. I have not had the skid frame out or have removed any of the shocks for service. I hope my schedule works out that I can get back up this weekend to dig a bit deeper into it once it has thawed out. My first thought was the adjuster or the 8DN belt, but the belt is fine and in perfect tension. I really like the 8DN belt as it feels a little more lively and feels a bit faster but that could be due to it being a new belt.

Did you try another belt to rule it out ? I know it's new but I've seen them do that before. My sons Viper only had 200km and he was getting a terrible vibration from it.he thought the clutch was coming off. Told him To switch the drive belt and voila it was all good again.

That's funny I had a similar Vibration. It lasted maybe a mile then went away. Trail condition was very hard icy after rain and then cold temps, with a little snow on top, like 1/2" just enough for lube and cooling. You got me thinking about this again and I'm thinking possibly some ice formed on the track or the drivers, or in the tunnel. Not sure but didn't like it one bit.

Usually when you get to know your sled you can determine whether its an ice chunk up in there grinding ready to get chewed out.

So if it is not ice, not a primary or secondary spring or belt........My only comment is try and determine if its in the drive mechanism (jack shaft or drive shaft) or in the track drive (track, skid, idlers, sliders, shocks). Can you feel it in the tunnel or running boards? that would point towards track drive.

Any chance its a shock on the verge of coming apart grinding on the inner track. Friends machine had a centre shock separate and make a mess inside.
Keep us posted.
MS

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions to check out. I believe my direction here will be swapping out the 8DN for new 8JP that I have, due to the extra clutch noise when decelerating.The 8DN was a left over spare belt from my Apex. It was still in the sealed package and stored perfectly flat. My other focus will be with the extroverts and track alignment and tension as I was feeling the vibration mostly in my feet and or the running boards. The machine did have a lot of ice build up coming off the bottom of side panels and beginning of the running boards that I have not seen before. Trails were icy and snow covered with cold temps. I have to travel for work this week and not sure if I will be back in time to get up north this weekend to trouble shoot. I will do my best and follow up with updates on what I find.

Back