• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

unreal oil change

drunkenrich

Expert
wow, i just changed the oil on the 09 xtx i bought a few months ago, that was god awful. never want to do it again :o| i feel like this :die anyways, my question is: those black tab things that hold on the side lower shroud part, i broke like 3 of them taking them out, is there a method to getting them out without destroying them like i did? any alternative replacement or should i order some oem? thanks

go to the hardware store and buy everyone they have,so you will have them for your next oil change,but they do make a tool for removing them,snap-on,matco tools has them,i found tthat hardware store sells a differnt and better quality plastic rivets,stronger

The tool is a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry up the center section from one or both sides and then gently pry up from the washer head portion of the body rivet and it will come right out.

I have taken the panels off and on many times and only broken one.

Attachments

• body_panel_rivet.png
    body_panel_rivet.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 70
thanks guys, wish i knew, i just muscled them out, are these common at says a sears hardware or do i need to order them?

drunkenrich said:
thanks guys, wish i knew, i just muscled them out, are these common at says a sears hardware or do i need to order them?

Auto Parts store, I think they are 8mm and made for Acuras, twice the quality.. You can get 4 or box of 20.

I've just used a small dental tool type pick and gottenthose pulled out easy. Obviously they are going to break if you force them.

The first oil change is always stressful on these sleds. But trust me, after you do 1 or two more off season oil changes on this sled you'll learn all the little disassembly tricks and you'll forget all about how stressful/ what a pita that first oil change was.

And if you really want to try a puzzle someday, try getting to the oil filter on an Apex, which requires removal of dash, headlights, airbox, and then also whole battery and tray. But after doing it like 5 times, it doesn't seem bad anymore.

Try a Phazer!

The Nytro is probably the easiest one to do, a few panels and you at the filter. Phazer is worse than the Apex, if you thought the Apex is bad, do a Phazer, not only do a million things have to come off, but do one thing in the wrong order upon reassembly and everything has to be removed AGAIN, what a PITA! Luckily it's a once a year thing, no I not going to leave the oil filter on when changing the oil, something about it just seems wrong.

The biggest issue I had with mine was sand getting into the back part of the push fastener. The sand sorta locks the thing together, making the task of popping up the head of the dart a bit more difficult. Rinsing the sled both outside and inside tunnel, and wherever else the hose can get makes it less of a problem. I would break two or three a year still, it's just the way it is, I think they may get brittle over time as well.

Too bad about the Phazer. The more I learn about them, the less I want one. I almost bought a used one two years ago for my daughter.

I don't think the Nytro is bad to change the oil on. The black snaps are a bit of a PITA, but once you develope the technique it is easy. Just make sure you don't install too long of a filter or it can rub on the aluminum rib on the stock skid plate and wear a hole in it. If I remember correctly, I saw wear marks when I installed an HF303. I've got picture of it posted in a thread somewhere on here from about 1-2 years ago.

Back