• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

Besides wear of the bushing apon inspection. Is there any tell tale signs while riding? Like vibrations, track lock up, etc. Just curious so I know what to look for.
Thanks

A friend of mine had his Sidewinder pop out into "neutral" while riding at around 60mph. Stopped, shut it off, started it back up, and it was good to go for the rest of the trip.

Hey up in Canada there worth more than gold, people love there Yamahas and will pay that money especially if it’s blue and has big Yamaha letters down the side, and they go faster up there also vs down here in the 48 , Always read this on the internet, I always hear from people near me if they go to Canada riding a Yamaha they will get stolen so you have to put a arctic cat cover on them. I had several friends lose their sleds up there, I stay on this side. , plus their cheaper down hear, great deals.
X2

Anyone notice the gears have a slight rock side to side even brand new ?

Anyone notice the gears have a slight rock side to side even brand new ?
Yes and honestly I dont know at what point the rocking becomes a issue when wore. Is usually at least some of the Grey coating left on mine when I replace bushing every season.

I have used this gear oil in my drag nytro in 4 years and now been using it in my Sidewinder. I fill my chaincase so the oil is just above full site glass. I do this because of the 2 chains and lots of parts that oil stick to.

The Fina guy came to my shop and tried to show me how great his Fina Gear oil was.. I had Bell Ray Motorcycle chain oil with Molly in it.. It did as well or better than the Fina . West of the Mississippi Fina is just as common as Shell Mobile Citco Penzoil ect.. but East of the Mississippi they let a few guys distribute it at a very inflated price..
He was claiming his oil was twice as good so I only had to change my oil half as often .. But it cost almost twice as much .. Then he claimed that I would still be saving on Labor and Filters.. Well I heat my shop with used oil .. and he claimed I was supposed to keep taking oil samples which cost $12 or $16 each .. I simply prefer to change my oil more often .. and used the cheaper oil that is the exact same quality as Fina

Not saying that i think it is bad already,just wondering if there is a better replacement. Best time to upgrade would be now. I was looking at some graphite impregnated bushings on the Oilite website
Scott Taylor Engineering

I checked mine today and at 1,500 miles the upper gear bushing was very worn. I had a McMaster Carr bushing on hand. It fit the shaft, so I had it pressed into the gear. Must be it wasn't pressed in straight, because the gear would not fit on the shaft with the bushing pressed in.

So I ordered a new gear. I'll drill out the holes in the bushing, and run the chain to spec with some extra oil in the case.

I checked mine today and at 1,500 miles the upper gear bushing was very worn. I had a McMaster Carr bushing on hand. It fit the shaft, so I had it pressed into the gear. Must be it wasn't pressed in straight, because the gear would not fit on the shaft with the bushing pressed in.

So I ordered a new gear. I'll drill out the holes in the bushing, and run the chain to spec with some extra oil in the case.
The bushings need to have the proper clearance so when pressed in, they aren't too tight. The press (fit in the gear bore) actually compresses the bushing....a mechanic once said 'it's a fluid world'! lol. We polished mine after pressing into the gear to get the perfect fit on the shaft.

Do you have the part # of the McMaster bushing you ordered that didnt fit shaft? Might save somebody else the trouble since so many have been posted.

The bushings need to have the proper clearance so when pressed in, they aren't too tight. The press (fit in the gear bore) actually compresses the bushing....a mechanic once said 'it's a fluid world'! lol. We polished mine after pressing into the gear to get the perfect fit.
Some of the bushings posted cannot be honed or polished since they are coated.

Like the oem split bushing.
I only had the bronze and oilite...always had good luck anywhere I used them. Still a mystery as to why it wears so much. Maybe a millenial can mount a chain camera in there and document it!LOL!

Back