• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

Um not sure how that relates to "those cat guys" need a wake up call??
Whats stock Yamaha on that thing? The sticker? ;)

Surprisingly enough, the whole thing is a stock Yamaha Apex chassis, only the bodywork is altered around it.

Hey up in Canada there worth more than gold, people love there Yamahas and will pay that money especially if it’s blue and has big Yamaha letters down the side, and they go faster up there also vs down here in the 48 , Always read this on the internet, I always hear from people near me if they go to Canada riding a Yamaha they will get stolen so you have to put a arctic cat cover on them. I had several friends lose their sleds up there, I stay on this side. , plus their cheaper down hear, great deals.

Biggest crock of sh1T i've ever heard!

But i do love my blue yamaha with white letters on it! It's wicked fast EH!! I found it in a parking lot with keys in it. Probably one of your budz! Weird

Surprisingly enough, the whole thing is a stock Yamaha Apex chassis, only the bodywork is altered around it.

That definitely sounds like a 4 cylinder as well...4 cylinders will always be better then 3...and 6 are better yet!
I have two of these...a completely stock 1979 and a Big Bore modified 1980...time to get them out

honda-cbx-lead.jpg

Last edited:
Um not sure how that relates to "those cat guys" need a wake up call??
Whats stock Yamaha on that thing? The sticker? ;)

Just poking fun, lighten up Francis.

P.S. you are on a Yamaha forum :yam:

I know its:ot:.. but i would like to add 8dn belt whitout any air going through clutches...They are now on the 400km/h project:sled2:.
stock clutches also if I am not mistaken!!!

And we ride more and faster! I go though a set of brake pads every year. So maybe something to that.
I have never replaced brakes on either one of the Viper I HAD. 18700KM on one and 9000 on the one I have now. you stop to much lol

I have the PCZ1616E bushing coming for viper top gear. Put 9000km on stock one but was wore so will replace it. Top gear from Yamaha was 100$ ca . I run my chain 1.25 to 1.5 turns.
https://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/plain-bearings/bushings-thrust-washers-strips/table-bushings/index.html?designation=PCZ 1616 E

That appears to be pretty much the same design as the stock bushing, as far as I can tell.

"Steel Backing With Sintered Tin Bronze Layer; Pore Filling And Covering Layer Of PTFE With Friction-Reducing Additives (5 To 30μm)."

That appears to be pretty much the same design as the stock bushing, as far as I can tell.

"Steel Backing With Sintered Tin Bronze Layer; Pore Filling And Covering Layer Of PTFE With Friction-Reducing Additives (5 To 30μm)."

Yes its same design. But cheaper to replace bushings then buy a new gear.

SKF left. Stock right in picture.

20190409_164140~2.jpg

View attachment 147656 View attachment 147655 I have some real world results now. Couldn’t take it anymore so I tore into the chaincase last night.
I was ruining bushings every 1000 miles on my turbo viper. Tried the 660 bronze bearing and it lasted for 1500 miles last year with one oil hole. I purchased the 15 wide upper gear and chain this year as I wanted to upgrade from the stock 13 wide viper chain. The 13 wide and 15 wide use the same exact bushing so that makes no difference in the life of the bushing as the surface area is equal.
So with the stock bushing and three oil hole upper gear I have over 2000 miles on it this season. About half the time I was above 300hp at 18psi boost pressure so it was a good test. I also have good traction with 1.375” track and around 240 studs.

Are you no longer recommending the SAE660 cast bronze bushing? The specs for it make it appear to be a much better bushing for this application than what the OEM bushing is.

See the crud along the top edge of the bushing in the pic below? I am pretty sure that is the teflon material that has been "pushed" off the sintered bronze layer underneath due to shock load.

0408192037_HDR.jpg

Back