• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

USI SPX skis & hard steering

dsimonRX1

Pro
Website
www.american-iowa.com
Put these skis on my APEX Gt and it steers extremely hard. My brother also has them on his APEX with the same problem. We've tried everything to reduce the problem with little success. Anyone having a similar issue? May have to go to the 5.7 pilots, despite the money already spent.

Did you shim them? I'm gonna shim my simmons for the same reason, I don't want to have a heavy steering sled again this season. I was also thinking about piolts, heard many good thing here on ty.

Good luck
Mike

Try the power steering plates USI sells. They put a concave shape
to the ski to help with heavy steering. I just got a set of the new USI X2 tripple threat skis. I heard they work good on Yamaha's and REVs. Can't wait to try them out.

I just tried my new pilots 5.7's Very impressed with them. Tracked VERY straight and the steering was light..Actually felt like I should put more wieght on the front end believe it or not..Finally my Apex handles exactly the way I want it to. :Rockon: Seriously it's like having power steering..

dsimonRX1 said:
Do you have the parts or part numbers needed to fit those on the APEX Gt?

I just installed a set of 5.7 pilots which I purchased from SHS Powersports in Michigan, $200 for everything, handles, skis, carbides, rubber stoppers.

Just bolt on and go. Here's the link to the pilots, I ordered my online.

http://www.shspowersports.com/eshopprod ... de_Kit.htm

By the way, some guys are flipping one of the ski bushing to get them to fit, I just pried the ski apart and got the bolt to go through.

Kaz

I put USI VX301 skis on my GT last year and the steering is VERY heavy. I found my carbides worn extremely on the front and am sure that the shimming I just did this fall will improve the steering some. I'll find out tomorrow. I have the power steering plates waiting to try after shimming alone - don't want to change too much at one time.

I have same skis on my Warrior. Just put them on last year. Try reducing your ski preasure first. Also snow conditions play a role. If that is not to your liking try the power searing plates USI has.

I found the first year I ran the USI skis on my Apex that I had very heavy steering. I then put in the power steering plates and moved the mounting bolt to the rear hole and it was night and day difference. Now the shaper wear bar wears evenly and the steering is very light. These skis do not dart and now have the light feel. Hope this helps for all the users of USI skis. Another plus of the skis are that they float better in the deeper snow.

Apex_GT said:
I just tried my new pilots 5.7's Very impressed with them. Tracked VERY straight and the steering was light..Actually felt like I should put more wieght on the front end believe it or not..Finally my Apex handles exactly the way I want it to. :Rockon: Seriously it's like having power steering..[/quote
They have power steering on the grizzly would'nt shock me to see it on a sled soon

Got 20 miles on today after shimming the VX301 s. Definitely an improvement. I could live with it as it is but its still a little stiff so I'm going to try the power steering plates.

dsimonRX1 said:
Thanks for the link Kaz, I ordered a pair yesterday. My brother is putting the USI's on his F1000. Do I need to shim the pilots?

Like I said just bolt on and go. They come with the right rubber/stopper and as far as I know no one is shimming these.

Only upgrade is get a pair of good carbides (studboy shapers my favorite) and save the cheap ones for the outside. New 08 ski-doo's don't even come with the outside carbide!

Kaz

Ia anyone using USI SS Railers ???

Back